When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to build a new Explorer II. Movement?

GarrettP1

I saw the new 42mm Explorer II on Josh and Andrew's sites, and thought it might be a fun project to start on.

Would the ETA 2836-2 be the right movement for this watch?

I realize there are a number of things that are incorrect on this rep, and I can source those parts as this progresses.

Thanks as always.

Garrett

The 2836-2 is fine, correct beat, 28,800. Only question is if you get a 'swiss' eta or an asian clone- my guess is you'd get an asian clone, which is ok as long as you don't pay for 'swiss'. The hand stack will be wrong, but nobody really worries about that. Movements w/ the correct handstack have proven to be unreliable.

The 2836-2 is fine, correct beat, 28,800. Only question is if you get a 'swiss' eta or an asian clone- my guess is you'd get an asian clone, which is ok as long as you don't pay for 'swiss'. The hand stack will be wrong, but nobody really worries about that. Movements w/ the correct handstack have proven to be unreliable.

Thanks Alligoat.

Yes....I noticed that they have "Swiss ETA" models available, but from reading here it seems that you are just as likely to get an asian clone movement as a true ETA

(even though you are paying extra for the ETA version).

This should make a nice little project watch. I am hoping I can get it fairly water resistant too with some extra work.

Garrett

This should make a nice little project watch. I am hoping I can get it fairly water resistant too with some extra work.

Garrett

This is a nice project. And don't be affraid or don't ask you to much questions about waterproofing, you watch will be waterproof, just be logical in the reasoning and how to work. No mystic, just mechanic and logic. its like plumbing.

I don't see myself getting another modern GMT II until they do make a good CHS movement. It REALLY bothers me. Every time the hour hand passes over the GMT hand it's like it's mocking me. Of course that hand stack is correct for a 1675 and 16750 with the transitional dial (correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't see myself getting another modern GMT II until they do make a good CHS movement. It REALLY bothers me. Every time the hour hand passes over the GMT hand it's like it's mocking me. Of course that hand stack is correct for a 1675 and 16750 with the transitional dial (correct me if I'm wrong).

Correct hand stack for the old 1675 but the 16750 has another movement and the GMT hand is between the hours and minutes hands