When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Speedies. Get Closer To Gen?

Helmut

Just had a quick gander at a couple of our dealers and it appears that the latest Speemaster Moonies are getting closer to the gen. I'm on about the apparent sub dial spacing;

Latest version

133592-18634.jpg

Earlier version

133592-18635.jpg

Both look identical but have a closer look at the length of the 9 and 3 stick markers. They appear to be the same length as the rest. It may be all the markers have been printed smaller so they can all be the same length to give the apparent view that the gen has.

Now, heres the question. Has the latest version got a larger sized face? (The cases are the same size). Both have the same movement so I'm guessing the subdial spacing is the same. If the dial is larger, this may mean the outer ring is not so obvious now. Win win situation in the step towards the gen.

Anyone got one yet? Next one on my list but would like a heads up.

Thoughts?

Thanks to Josh for the pics.

Edited by Helmut

The subdial spacing will always be off. The biggest improvement for these hand wind models would be the freezing of 6' subdial (the useless 24h hand).

I don't understand why they can't do this.

Nope. I think you're getting the "reduced" confused with the "moonwatch."

Look at the crown on the reduced ("latest one" in your post), it sticks out... it also has the numbers on the hour indices... that's from the reduced only.

The subdial spacing is correct on the reduced, but the word "Professional" should not be on there.

Look at the hands too--they're correct for both versions (being different in each case--look at the seconds hand).

By-Tor wrote a review of his "Speedmaster reduced" check it out.

Nope. I think you're getting the "reduced" confused with the "moonwatch."

Look at the crown on the reduced ("latest one" in your post), it sticks out... it also has the numbers on the hour indices... that's from the reduced only.

The subdial spacing is correct on the reduced, but the word "Professional" should not be on there.

Look at the hands too--they're correct for both versions (being different in each case--look at the seconds hand).

By-Tor wrote a review of his "Speedmaster reduced" check it out.

It's what I'm inclined to think too.

Having read By-Tors excellant reviews and looked closely at the reduced and normal Moon, it's all getting a bit confusing.

Ok, I'll try and explain.

The usual Speedy Pro moon rep has the incorrect subdial spacing which inturn means the 9 and 3 stick markers are short. Hands are as per the gen as is the remainder of the dial markings..no second numbering around face and two dots either side of the 12 marker. From our dealers, I've read the case dimensions are 40mm across the case and 10.5mm thick. These dimensions equate to a pre 1965 Speedy (non pro).

The gen Reduced has a case size of 38mm and the same face as the 'new' one I've mentioned in my first post. Numbered seconds on the face, thin sweep hand and the thin crown guard. These facts (apart from the case size) means the current Speedmasters the dealers have are all Reduced despite having Professional in place of Automatic below 'Speedmaster'.

So, my conclusion so far is that there are currently three Speedmaster Moonies available from the dealers.

1. 40mm case with all the correct Reduced features. Case a bit too big. Professional instead of Auto. Subdial spacing is accurate to gen Reduced.

2. 40mm case with the wrong crown guard, face and hands. Subdial issue. Case of a reduced, face of a Pro.

3. ??mm case with correct face and crown guard. Subdial issue.

3 is at present the nearest to a Speedy Pro Moon. I believe its the one that baltic reviewed recently next to a gen. The two pictures at the begining of this thread are closest to a Reduced imho.

So, to summerise!

My initial title of 'New Speedies. Getting Closer to Gen' would now appear to refer to the reduced. I was hoping we would be a bit closer to a Pro Moon to be honest. Each time I'm about to commit to buying one, I get this anally retentive 'detail devil' tapping me on the shoulder prior to pressing 'purchase'! I guess I'm going to go with the one baltic has. (Can we have the Speedy Broadarrow case (42mm) with a Moonie Pro face please? Subdial will still be an issue but it will be closer in case size to the gen).

BTW, where did you get it from, baltic? Great review too, thanks.

Edited to add. Cancel that baltic, I've just read back through your posts and you got it from EL? Regards

Edited by Helmut

It's what I'm inclined to think too.

Having read By-Tors excellant reviews and looked closely at the reduced and normal Moon, it's all getting a bit confusing.

Ok, I'll try and explain.

The usual Speedy Pro moon rep has the incorrect subdial spacing which inturn means the 9 and 3 stick markers are short. Hands are as per the gen as is the remainder of the dial markings..no second numbering around face and two dots either side of the 12 marker. From our dealers, I've read the case dimensions are 40mm across the case and 10.5mm thick. These dimensions equate to a pre 1965 Speedy (non pro).

The gen Reduced has a case size of 38mm and the same face as the 'new' one I've mentioned in my first post. Numbered seconds on the face, thin sweep hand and the thin crown guard. These facts (apart from the case size) means the current Speedmasters the dealers have are all Reduced despite having Professional in place of Automatic below 'Speedmaster'.

So, my conclusion so far is that there are currently three Speedmaster Moonies available from the dealers.

1. 40mm case with all the correct Reduced features. Case a bit too big. Professional instead of Auto. Subdial spacing is accurate to gen Reduced.

2. 40mm case with the wrong crown guard, face and hands. Subdial issue. Case of a reduced, face of a Pro.

3. ??mm case with correct face and crown guard. Subdial issue.

3 is at present the nearest to a Speedy Pro Moon. I believe its the one that baltic reviewed recently next to a gen. The two pictures at the begining of this thread are closest to a Reduced imho.

So, to summerise!

My initial title of 'New Speedies. Getting Closer to Gen' would now appear to refer to the reduced. I was hoping we would be a bit closer to a Pro Moon to be honest. Each time I'm about to commit to buying one, I get this anally retentive 'detail devil' tapping me on the shoulder prior to pressing 'purchase'! I guess I'm going to go with the one baltic has. (Can we have the Speedy Broadarrow case (42mm) with a Moonie Pro face please? Subdial will still be an issue but it will be closer in case size to the gen).

BTW, where did you get it from, baltic? Great review too, thanks.

Edited to add. Cancel that baltic, I've just read back through your posts and you got it from EL? Regards

THe non-reduced version, is 1:1 with the gen when it comes to case size. The stats on the webpage may be wrong. I owned one and it's pretty big--much bigger than the gen reduced I owned too.

134358-18489.jpg

thats what the genuine automatic reduced version should look like.

that replica is like a mixture of the moon and the reduced.

Thats the conclusion I have come to too.

Thats good to know, madmex.

Ok, $64000 question. Who has the full size Pro with correct (ish) case in stock?? ......and will the case allow the fitment of a gen hesalite and bezel?

Regards

Thats the conclusion I have come to too.

Thats good to know, madmex.

Ok, $64000 question. Who has the full size Pro with correct (ish) case in stock?? ......and will the case allow the fitment of a gen hesalite and bezel?

Regards

Well someone on another topic said that Precious Time (UK based) will have some in soon. E-mail him via his website, he's always been spot on with comms. To be perfectly honest you don't need to put a gen hesalite on and the bezel insert on the rep although not identical is not the biggest 'tell', I wouldn't waste money on them. A genuine soild case back apparantly will fit the 'full size' rep and conversley the reps display back will fit the gen (according to a post in one of my recent Speedy Moon Watch posts.)

I love Speedies me... :whistling: