When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal change help !

Hi all,

I currently own the Orchard road sec@12 so with the rubber bezel and purchased a crystal from UWe with double AR but now i am trying to find someone in the USA who can swap my old crystal for my new one. A watchmaker near where I live wants to charge $150 which seems ridiculous.

I don't know how to do it myself but would purchase the tools and do it if someone could tell me how. Is it hard to dismount with all the gaskets

Would I need the crystal to be pressed it since its rubber ?

Please i am located in michigan so if anyone has tips on watchmakers located in the US let me know

thanks all for the help.

Edited by MM..MM

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for the noob question but how do I grease the washers and gaskets?

What is this process?

you buy watch grease and put on them ;)

Seriously, you remove them and apply a thin layer of grease so they don't dry and crack with time.

Check the last pic, you can see the red/black grease box there.

Email vaccum. He's in the modifications sub forum

DO NOT email vacuum for something like this.. Replacing a crystal would not be worth his time or your money.. simple thing.. really.

1. Open caseback

2. remove crown stem by pressing gently in small hole next to stem on movement (look this up for pics)

3. Turn watch face up gently in your hand. (cover your hand with microfiber cloth)

4. Movement will drop out of watch

5. Press out old crystal (try thumbs first, if it doesn't budge i've used a movement holder and the end of a marker wrapped in microfiber to tap crystals out)

DO NOT email vacuum for something like this.. Replacing a crystal would not be worth his time or your money.. simple thing.. really.

1. Open caseback

2. remove crown stem by pressing gently in small hole next to stem on movement (look this up for pics)

3. Turn watch face up gently in your hand. (cover your hand with microfiber cloth)

4. Movement will drop out of watch

5. Press out old crystal (try thumbs first, if it doesn't budge i've used a movement holder and the end of a marker wrapped in microfiber to tap crystals out)

Sorry but this won't work with the ROO. This is a generic process that would work with many models but the ROO build is complex. The crystal can't be replaced with the bezel in place. Check my thread.

You don't even have the remove the movement. Just remove the bezel by removing the 8 nut and carefully lifting up, then separate the rubber seal and the tachy ring from the bezel. Press on the outside of the crystal with your thumbs or a crystal press to remove it, noting which way the bevel on the crystal is, then CAREFULLY use a crystal press with the appropriate dies to pop in the new crystal. You may have a plastic ring on the inside of the bezel, it must be there for the new crystal to be seated properly.

Alternatively, you could just bring in the bezel and crystal to a watchmaker, and they probably will do it for way less than the insane price of $150. I got mine done for ~$8, which was a pretty good deal considering a crystal press from Harbor Freight is something like $14.