When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Budget photo set-up

OK..puggy........here's your personal challenge...10x photos...differing dials and backgrounds.....see how close you can replicate............and to get the members up to it.....a collection of some of my stuff that you may not have seen before.....

I like it!

Give me a week and I'll have something for you. Why a week? Because my girlfriend is away next weekend and I should have my IWC by then. I could do a "How to photograph like TTK" article. :lol:

...for this board.......this is the standard...and believe me even these are NOT good enough for commercial use......but put a Blad 22mp in my hands and I'll show you stuff on the page... :Jumpy: !

While I appreciate that photos for this site are not commercial quality, we're talking about having zero control of the viewer's monitor calibration, resolution, ambient lighting, etc. Every photo taken for here is good enough for the web quality. For instance, my pics may come out a little dark for some people, as I'm using a 24" LCD flat-panel on a Mac, meaning my gamma is different than that of a PC, and I use Colorsync to keep my monitor calibrated. I am therefore spoiled by my equipment, and it may reduce the quality of my pics when seen on someone else's setup.

You have more experience than me taking photos of watches, and I would love to see your work that wasn't hampered by web technology.

@puggy.....that's the problem here......there's zero calibration among members....everyone sees a different watch......!

I shoot in RAW mode.....but the photos here are heavily compressed.....so you never get the best quality....but direct prints up to 10x8 are very good...even tho' the 7D is only 6mp.....having said that....I have no real need for print nowadays.......virtually everything I do is Web oriented....!

This thread inspired me to try doing something similar.

I bought a box, some black cardboard and a $5 camera tripod from walmart.

post-433-1143424220_thumb.jpg

Here's the result:

post-433-1143424279_thumb.jpg post-433-1143424314_thumb.jpg

I'd like to get a watch holder so I can lift it off the ground, and some better lighting, otherwise not bad for a $12 investment IMO.

PS: I added the watermark so that others might not be as tempted to steal them and use on ebay auctions.

Excellent......!

One piece of advice.......try to draw your viewers eye 'into' the photograph.....your photographs are tending to pull the viewer out........visually it's best if you photographed your watches from a different angle...get on 'top' of the watch at a slight angle....drawing the viewers eye from top to bottome......such as these examples...!

12698-4162.jpg

12698-4163.jpg

BTW.......I 'nicked' your photo....and now I'm gonna sell your watch on Egay...... :lol:

post-288-1143435126_thumb.jpg

Edited by TTK

OK..puggy........here's your personal challenge...10x photos...differing dials and backgrounds.....see how close you can replicate.

I don't have anywhere near the right amount of watches, but I'll start a TTK-style pic, as a taster.

On second thoughts, I'll reshoot it. It's too dark. Still, here it is:

16829-3145.jpg