When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Budget photo set-up

Whilst a professional light-tent will give excellent results, I don't have one.

But I do have a polypropylene lever-arch file...

Here is the setup. As you can see, it couldn't be simpler:

10346-4925.jpg

Here is the first shot taken with this set-up (hand-held - I was too lazy to erect the tripod) As you can see, using two different light sources, fluorescent on the left and tungsten on the right was not a good idea. Never mind:

10346-4926.jpg

The image would have been better if I had used a small reflector to bounce some light into the shadows... and there is plenty of room for further improvement and experimentation. I would have carried on but my camera battery chose that moment to expire - and, of course, the charger is at my office.

But I am not ashamed of this first attempt at using a budget light-tent... nothing more than an upturned lever-arch file.

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

P.S When you purchase your Lever Arch File - be sure that it has a "frosted" finish. The one that I used was made by Snopake.

Whilst a professional light-tent will give excellent results, I don't have one.

But I do have a polypropylene lever-arch file...

Excellent idea ... right up until you took the photo handheld. Ouch.

Put it on the desk, on a book, anything. Set the timer, walk away.

Excellent idea ... right up until you took the photo handheld. Ouch.

Put it on the desk, on a book, anything. Set the timer, walk away.

I don't think that the pic is fuzzy. There is some flare which has softened the image... experimenting with the direction of the lights and the position of the watch will deal with this.

Here is a crop from the centre of the image... no cheating, no PhotoShopping. Not bad for a hand-held shot.

11179-4470.jpg

The object of the excercise was to find out if a lever-arch file would work as a light tent. I think it shows promise. However, your further advice would be much appreciated!

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Edited by Highflyingclive

The object of the excercise was to find out if a lever-arch file would work as a light tent. I think it shows promise. However, your further advice would be much appreciated!

You can ring up your experiment as a complete and utter success. As for further advice, I'd say ... sneak preview of a future photo how-to. Time to spend a bit of cash on a tripod:

11248-4466.jpg

A very little bit, admittedly.

All you need is a simple set-up......2x lamps..a black background....some diffusing perspex...some form of support.....and a basic camera..... :lol::lol::lol:

PS...the watch being photographed was an 18k Rolex President Day Date....REP... :D

12379-4250.jpg

Edited by TTK

Still experimenting with my upturned lever-arch file "light tent"...

Here are two shots, same watch, same set-up, same lighting, with and without the lever-arch file:

12395-4249.jpg

Still some way to go before I am a threat to TTK... but I'm getting better at this :D

Happy snapping!

Clive

P.S. The watch being photographed is a Panerai 147 ... rep! :lol:

Edited by Highflyingclive

:lol: ...yeah indoor chimney is a special requirement...!

That setup is at my home in Scotland......it's a studio stand....specifically for large format cameras....20x16 or 10x8......I use it because it's so versatile.....instead of tripping over your tripod legs.....you just swing it out of the way.....far better than any tripod....!

PS...here's my other one....a true collector's piece....a 1960's fluid damped and counterbalanced Linhof Studio Stand.....worth about 7000 GBP....I'm having it buried with me...... :lol:

12410-4246.jpg

12410-4247.jpg

There you have it folks, perfect shots of your watches will only cost 7000 GBP :blink:

That's just the camera pedestal. You need a camera on top of that, and lights, and, and ...

I reckon Neil has a lot of overkill kit because selling watches isn't his only profession. If it is, I'm changing jobs now. UNIX obviously doesn't pay enough. :)

@puggy......watch selling isn't my profession.......it's my hobby.....and believe me...try handholding a 20x16 wooden plate camera......t'aint easy....!

The big 'silver chimney' is a Cambo Studio Stand.......weighs 120kg......and is fitted with a Cambo CBH5 ball and socket head......!

The Linhof I picked up a good number of years ago.....I had it refurbished......in the course of which I had occasion to contact Linhof with various enquiries....at which point they made me an offer for it.....just as they were establishing their 100 year museum......they stopped at 7K.......!

Still experimenting with my upturned lever-arch file "light tent"...

Here are two shots, same watch, same set-up, same lighting, with and without the lever-arch file:

... and here's 30 seconds in software on your photo:

12441-4241.jpg

I did the patented Neil black-crushing, a hint of desaturation and a few other bits but not as much as I would normally do as the JPEG you uploaded was not good enough. No dynamic range to play with.

I think you have the basic stuff sorted, now take a few thousand like that and you'll be able to rival TTK.

I took a slight;y different road....here's 45 secs software abuse.....the only problem is....not being a lossless format...every time you open / upload / save the image it loses resolution.... :lol:

12449-4240.jpg

"cheatin'"....are you telling me that ALL those studio ads showing beautiful watches....are cheating.....they're showing us something that's been 'worked on'......well I never.....!

PS...just because you recently learned how to'crush'......ya wanna get all bitchy...... :lol:

OK..puggy........here's your personal challenge...10x photos...differing dials and backgrounds.....see how close you can replicate............and to get the members up to it.....a collection of some of my stuff that you may not have seen before........for this board.......this is the standard...and believe me even these are NOT good enough for commercial use......but put a Blad 22mp in my hands and I'll show you stuff on the page... :Jumpy: !

12497-4211.jpg

12497-4212.jpg

12497-4213.jpg

12497-4214.jpg

12497-4215.jpg

12497-4216.jpg

12497-4217.jpg

12497-4218.jpg

12497-4219.jpg

12497-4220.jpg

12497-4221.jpg

Edited by TTK