When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Franken On The Bay

the collector

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say [censored].

Funny how these puffed up, over inflated fantasy prices are on auctions that are by one particular seller (selling average V72 frankens), or the auctions are private. Yet other auctions, from different sellers with comparable frankens sell for $3k.

Unless you want to put your money where your mouth is... You have 2 of these in yur collection, right, Tony? Why not make a believer out of me....

:bangin:

You got me, Randy. I was the one bidding up all those auctions, just to bust your balls :bangin:

...Now I just have to pay for them...Doh! I didn't think about that!

Hmm, I guess the joke was on me :g:

all auctions provided by JDM_K end very high compared to other sellers...

That's 'cause Jensen's stuff is better. His cases sell for $1000 to $1500, because they have a better appearance (they're aged, have better engraving, more genuine pushers, etc). In addition, he sell parts that nobody else can access, like the engraved bridge plates...for these he can almost name his price.

You always see his auctions close at higher amounts, because he makes sure of it. He does this my monitoring the price with 12 hours left to go in the auction...if it hasn't met his minimum, he pulls the auction (look at the bottom of his listings, where he says he reserves the right to cancel auctions early). This is his way of enforcing a "reserve price", without discouraging bidders.

That guy is making money on the 'bay.

You got me, Randy. I was the one bidding up all those auctions, just to bust your balls :bangin:

...Now I just have to pay for them...Doh! I didn't think about that!

Hmm, I guess the joke was on me :g:

Clearly you didn't understand my post...

You've got two of these V72 frankens... If these are fetching the kinds of true, actual premiums claimed, why not put one of yours up to make some profit. Clearly, you'd have enough to build another AND have a fair amount of dosh in your pocket afterwards...

Clearly you didn't understand my post...

You've got two of these V72 frankens... If these are fetching the kinds of true, actual premiums claimed, why not put one of yours up to make some profit. Clearly, you'd have enough to build another AND have a fair amount of dosh in your pocket afterwards...

I've got no need or desire to sell my Daytona's. And, believe it or not, the margin is even better in Daytona parts...

I'll tell you what though, Randy, why don't I sell yours on consignment? I'm sure I could pull in $3000 to $4000, even for yours ;)

I've got no need or desire to sell my Daytona's. And, believe it or not, the margin is even better in Daytona parts...

Pretty much what I thought... If these were really pulling in the money you claim, then yours would be gone in an instant, as you could easily build more AND have money in your pocket. Math is pretty simple... $1200 per watch to build and 9x profit... IF they were really selling for what the shill bid auctions were finishing at.

I'll tell you what though, Randy, why don't I sell yours on consignment? I'm sure I could pull in $3000 to $4000, even for yours ;)

Nice try, but I'm not the one trying to puff up the value on these things. I know what mine is worth, and it's what I have into it. Nothing more. I'm not trying to inflate my frankens in some make believe world.

No, you really haven't explained everything.... You just keep shouting "Shill bidding!". Is there a vast conspiracy, with collusion among these sellers? If it's shill bidding, why don't the bids go even higher...why stop at $8500, if they're just trying to set a precedent? Are these listing just advertisements? If so, how much are they really selling for? Do the watches even exist? Let's hear your theories...

Hey, man. It's okay... I'd love to believe that my franken Daytonas were worth a bazillion dollars too, but fact of the matter is they're not. They're non-genuine watches.... Fancy replications. That is the key word.

Really, if these things were worth so much, I'm sure you'd have no trouble parting with one of your two. You can easily make back your money, build another, and have more than double your investment left in your pocket after all is said and done.

Hey, man. It's okay... I'd love to believe that my franken Daytonas were worth a bazillion dollars too, but fact of the matter is they're not. They're non-genuine watches.... Fancy replications. That is the key word.

Really, if these things were worth so much, I'm sure you'd have no trouble parting with one of your two. You can easily make back your money, build another, and have more than double your investment left in your pocket after all is said and done.

I don't know why your trying so hard to make this personal. I'm not selling frankens on the bay, nor am I associated with any of those who are. I'm happy to sell a few parts once in a while...Selling complete watches is a pain, and a risk. It took me over a year to assemble all of the componets for my Daytonas...They were not investments, and I have no plans to profit from them.

I've made some observations, and predictions, based on my experience. Those predictions have all played out. I know that there is an extreme demand for vintage Daytonas and Daytona parts. You have no idea how many times I've been asked if I would part with a completed Daytona...I know first hand what some people are willing to pay, and I can only speculate about others.

This Daytona stuff may be a fad. The value of Frankens could potentially one day fall below the component costs. But today, the value of a well executed Franken is what people are willing to pay for it. And I argue that I have a very good understanding of what that value is.

I think we've probably said all we need to say about this...we each have our own positions. Board members reading this can form their own opinions.

Honestly... I hope you are right. 'Cause, really... It makes no difference to me either way. If it's shill bids, it's shill bids. If it's someone who likes to [censored] away his/her money (and, apparently, there must be lots of them, all looking to buy franken 6263's- Afterall, this is like the 7th or 8th this month, nevermind the fact that you can get a genuine 1680 red AND 1675 combined for the same money... Or a genuine 116520 new at cost from an AD and flip it... Or a genuine great white 1665... Hell, I could go on and on), then that's what it is. But whatever any of these auctions end up being, it's no skin off my nose. I'm just calling it out as [censored].

As for making it personal? Nah... Not personal. Just driving home a point. If these things were worth what they're claimed to be, then the profit margin is easy to see, and is apparently worth the hassle of selling a complete watch, as these auctions on eBay seem to reflect by volume of listings. Hell... A moment ago, you were offering to sell MY watch for me on consignment... So, I guess it must not be too much of a hassle? My consignment fees paid out would be far less than the net profit realized from the sale of one of your watches... So, theoretically it would be more to your benefit to sell your own vs. mine...

Besides... Great debate never hurt anyone. The forum's been a little slow... So, I'm just glad you're willing to participate with me. No hard feelings?

I don't know why your trying so hard to make this personal. I'm not selling frankens on the bay, nor am I associated with any of those who are. I'm happy to sell a few parts once in a while...Selling complete watches is a pain, and a risk. It took me over a year to assemble all of the componets for my Daytonas...They were not investments, and I have no plans to profit from them.

I've made some observations, and predictions, based on my experience. Those predictions have all played out. I know that there is an extreme demand for vintage Daytonas and Daytona parts. You have no idea how many times I've been asked if I would part with a completed Daytona...I know first hand what some people are willing to pay, and I can only speculate about others.

This Daytona stuff may be a fad. The value of Frankens could potentially one day fall below the component costs. But today, the value of a well executed Franken is what people are willing to pay for it. And I argue that I have a very good understanding of what that value is.

I think we've probably said all we need to say about this...we each have our own positions. Board members reading this can form their own opinions.

I was just thinking, with all of the pictures you've posted on the boards, I could write an awesome eBay ad for your watch tonight! I could post it up for 3 days, and watch those bids come in! That would make a believer out of you!

(On second thought, you'd probably just accuse me of shill bidding :bleh: )

No hard feelings?

'Course not, bro! :drunk:

btw. be careful with selling this "aftermarket" stuff. I once sold a rolex bracelet on ebay, called it aftermarket, and my auction was pulled by GAF and I got threatening letters, telling me that all aftermarket stuff is considered FAKE.

GAF has the right to cancel every auction they wish!