When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 - Which movement to install - 2846 (Non Hacking) or 2836 (Hacking)?

pr0digy30

Have a Josh 1655 that I muffed up the ETA 2836 on it (dunno why I order it in the first place, should have gone for the 21J).

Now I want to re-assemble it... should I just put a repaired 2836 (hackable) or a low-beat 2846 (doesn't hackg). AFAIK, the 1655 used a low-beat with hacking (forgot the caliber number).

Which movement would be the better choice (I'll assume it to to 2846)?

Have a Josh 1655 that I muffed up the ETA 2836 on it (dunno why I order it in the first place, should have gone for the 21J).

Now I want to re-assemble it... should I just put a repaired 2836 (hackable) or a low-beat 2846 (doesn't hackg). AFAIK, the 1655 used a low-beat with hacking (forgot the caliber number).

Which movement would be the better choice (I'll assume it to to 2846)?

You can make a 2846 hack as well

So

You

Have the best of both worlds and convert it to GMT

You can make a 2846 hack as well

So

You

Have the best of both worlds and convert it to GMT

Yeah I still have one of the GMT parts off the original 2836... one of them broke, so now the 24 hour stays fixed (like the gen). How can I convert the 2846 to hack?

EDIT: Found it.. Part 9433. :)

Edited by pr0digy30

Flex... thanks. Looks like there was some overlay between the two movements.... but as my quick Google told me, it seems most if not all of the 1655's did indeed hack.

*sigh* I'm wondering if it's worth the work. I'll semi-comfortable with working with movements, but have never down a complete tear-down/rebuild... looks like putting a hacking lever in would take a work... getting it in is on the "delicate side" of the movement.

Flex... thanks. Looks like there was some overlay between the two movements.... but as my quick Google told me, it seems most if not all of the 1655's did indeed hack.

*sigh* I'm wondering if it's worth the work. I'll semi-comfortable with working with movements, but have never down a complete tear-down/rebuild... looks like putting a hacking lever in would take a work... getting it in is on the "delicate side" of the movement.

The hacking lever is, absolutely at the bottom of the back side of the pillar plate. I have a 2846 and it does not have the little nib that the hack lever mounts on.

With my 2846s and also a Miyota 8215 you can hack it with a little practice. Pull the crown out to the set position and set the minute hand to where it needs to be, then turn the hands counter clockwise ever, ever so slightly, without moving the minute hand, and it will stop the second hand. I can actually make my second hand go backwards a few seconds. You can get good at it. Contrary to popular belief it does not harm the movement.

Edited by preacher62