When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Non-lume dial colouring

bones

So, as a little bit of an experiment i decided to see what I could come up with in the way of vintage/cream coloured dial dots. Mostly vintage lume doesn't actually glow any more. Or at least in most cases very very weakly. Surely this opens up the opportunities for creating custom colours in certain situations.

Lume was originally this colour, which is horrendous.

(another project watch btw)

xekvz.jpg

Mix up a bit of these two until desired shade is achieved.

M9ppP.jpg

Apply as you would a lume mix. Fine oilers were used in this case.

Yux1r.jpg

To achieve this

c3p7x.jpg

7bftw.jpg

Would I love to be able to create lume of this colour, of course, but I don't have the materials to hand.

Thoughts?

Excellent result :good: I have plans to do something very similar for a 1665 project using the enamel to block the yellow, and then to apply a luminous paint I have which dries almost transparent. The brand is called Americana, and it has the original name of 'glow in the dark paint'... :bangin: Another paint which makes an excellent lume (although obviously not as good as the stuff Freddy has listed) is NightColor, by Revell :drinks: I'm pleased to see that the enamel does mask the yellow, so that's another green light for me :)

my first attempt at this turned out decent. i used an ivory enamel paint that gave it a nice rich texture and no glow. hand painted this with a fine brush

5649140243_f34a518d49_z.jpg

then theres always the iodine and bake route. i used a sewing pin to make tiny indents in the marker to give it a crumbling appearance

5615052227_eb38cbbb08_b.jpg

sadly i ve sold both of these pieces

my first attempt at this turned out decent. i used an ivory enamel paint that gave it a nice rich texture and no glow. hand painted this with a fine brush

5649140243_f34a518d49_z.jpg

then theres always the iodine and bake route. i used a sewing pin to make tiny indents in the marker to give it a crumbling appearance

5615052227_eb38cbbb08_b.jpg

sadly i ve sold both of these pieces

I really like the effect you achieved by indenting the paint, I'll have to remember to do that :good::drinks: