When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking Of Buying My First Panerai

crystalcranium

You guys have finally gotten to me. I'm going to take the Panerai plunge. The Luminor 44mm flyback chrono with a genuine swiss 7750 caught my eye. Is this an accurate replica? I believe it is the flyback reviewed in Watch Time in a head to head with Blancpain's flyback. The photos on Joshua's site look pretty close. Rotor hub is wrong, decoration on movement is not accurate and caseback engravings are a little off but the dial and case front look good. Is the swiss 7750 model at $600 worth it? I think the buckle on the rep is innacurate. It's a bi-folding clasp on the genuine. What kind of lume is standard on these reps

All opinions welcome

You guys have finally gotten to me. I'm going to take the Panerai plunge. The Luminor 44mm flyback chrono with a genuine swiss 7750 caught my eye. Is this an accurate replica? I believe it is the flyback reviewed in Watch Time in a head to head with Blancpain's flyback. The photos on Joshua's site look pretty close. Rotor hub is wrong, decoration on movement is not accurate and caseback engravings are a little off but the dial and case front look good. Is the swiss 7750 model at $600 worth it? I think the buckle on the rep is innacurate. It's a bi-folding clasp on the genuine. What kind of lume is standard on these reps

All opinions welcome

There's no doubting it's a beauty, but for me... $600 is too much to spend on a rep regardless of the 'engine'.

Not worth it - the hi beat (28800) asian chrono is just as good once serviced (about $175 to service)... so it's still much cheaper even after service. The 212 looks GREAT on the wrist and is in my top 3 PAM list...

Only thing that bugs me is that some of them don't have chrono pushers and some do (they should)...

The watch might not look perfect, but it looks awesome. I've been thinking about this watch also. I want a chrono panerai, but am afraid of the asian movement. You can't go wrong with the swiss movement as I think it must be the same base movement. I don't regret the purchase of my 029 with the 2893 movement as it's the same base movement and is very reliable. The lume is probably the standard weak stuff.

If you can afford it, I say go for it.

The watch might not look perfect, but it looks awesome. I've been thinking about this watch also. I want a chrono panerai, but am afraid of the asian movement. You can't go wrong with the swiss movement as I think it must be the same base movement. I don't regret the purchase of my 029 with the 2893 movement as it's the same base movement and is very reliable. The lume is probably the standard weak stuff.

If you can afford it, I say go for it.

Actually, the case engravings and the double deployment buckle on the 212 Regatta Chrono are more accurate. This baby is about $650 delivered. Hmmmmmm...trouble brewing in the budget!

:rolleyes:

do you mean the 253 regatta chrono? :g:

Yup...see, I know nothing about these watches. I do know that I lived the look of the genuine in the WT article and thought, "Say, there's a Panerai I might be able to wear!!!"

As far as the choice of movements, accurate decoration is lacking in both the swiss and asian versions. I was thinking more in terms of smoothness of operation. My genuines with 7750 movements are a joy to wind and operate. I have had some problems with the new 7750, winding problems, chrono re-setting issues, etc. I just thought getting a swiss 7750 would give me a more reliable and smoother operator out of the box.

In the market for a 212, my first Panerai also :D Saw the Swiss a while back at Josh's site but the price was too rich for me, however now the new asian movement 212 is here i'm gonna pull the trigger.. just waiting to see if my 'local' EU dealer can get them before I have to order from overseas. Such a beautiful watch B)

The Asian 212 version has been out for ages. You should have bought V's version second hand as it was already relumed, had a more accurate dial and came on a far superior (US$100) strap. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The difference on this new one and his will be (non-AR?) sapphire crystal and an inaccurately decorated movement.

For those already with a 212, I think finepics is working on getting an AR coated sapphire crystal for this.

The Asian 212 version has been out for ages. You should have bought V's version second hand as it was already relumed, had a more accurate dial and came on a far superior (US$100) strap. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The difference on this new one and his will be (non-AR?) sapphire crystal and an inaccurately decorated movement.

For those already with a 212, I think finepics is working on getting an AR coated sapphire crystal for this.

I love my 212 rep. For $220 or whatever I paid for it there is not a more beautiful, better made watch, rep or gen, and that is my sincere opinion. AR, incorrect movement engravings, I could care less.

In general I'm pretty picky (I never wear my Navitimer Fighters because the non-beveled date window bugs the crap out of me, and I can't stand my Sub rep because the SEL's just do not have the correct machined look) but my 212 is the one watch where I don't nitpick about accuracy. I don't tell people it's real anyway -- the gen is $10,000, and my personal rule is that I don't fib about the authenticity of any watch that would cost more than gens I personally own. I know it's random, but it works for me.

The problem with the current 212 is the blatant face error of the minute markers.

If they would just fix this properly I would be first in line for one.

The authentic with minute markers outward:

138057-17698.jpg

The replica automatic movement, note inward minute markers:

138057-17699.jpg

The replica with manual Venus 175, note outward minute markers:

138057-17700.jpg

Also note the crown guard is not engraved on this model.

Edited by JJFlash

All opinions welcome

It's not terribly accurate. For your first, how about a nice Davidsen 005? He's introducing new dials shortly...