When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 6497 Manual Handwind movement

treadmark501

I got an "Asian 6497 Manual Handwind movement" in my PAM 177.

It's gaining about +20sec/day, which is just too much.

When the QC photos were sent to me before the shipment, the "timegrapher" indicated +3sec/day.

what could have went wrong?

If I unscrew the caseback & move the needle towards the "-" direction that should fix it?

which needle bar do I move?

the one with the "gold" pin or the other sliver pin?

(Note: the attached photo is not my actual PAM 177)

post-36007-0-72675000-1312096177.jpg

In order to turn that screw properly you have to uncase the movement. Best you use the regulator arm. That is tricky because it only needs the slightest tap. Just tap the arm with the golden pin ever so slightly counter-clockwise (slower). If you see the arm move you tapped to hard. Give it a tap back clockwise (faster). Use a loupe.

Rolexman: thank for the advice. But that "golden pin lever" is attached to the "spring", would that harm the "spring"???

No. That's why it affects the rate of the movement. Moving the stud (pin) will make the hair spring longer resp. shorter. Just make sure you do not touch the hair spring itself.

Just my 2 cents- why don't you just take it to a watchsmith who can adjust a movement in 5 miutes and charge you $10.

BTW- I don't believe all these qc timing shots. They all seem to be +/- 7 seconds or less. In my experience the reps are not that accurate, especially the A 7750's. Also, 20 sec/ day MAY be improved but its not terrible. Remember

these are reps, COSC standards are about 6 sec/day. Many lower grade GEN ETA's don't do much better than 20 sec/day.

If you really want that kind of accuracy you're much better off with quartz. For under $300 you can buy a gen Bulova Precisionist watch with SMOOTH sweep quartz - accurate to 10 sec/YEAR!

Edited by Noel Fleischer

It's gaining about +20sec/day, which is just too much.

That's pretty good for a rep watch. Were you expecting +- 3 seconds per day?

If so, you should look to a quartz watch. No rep dealer is going to guarantee a 3 second performance on a rep mechanical movement. Be reasonable. What performance are you actually expecting?

Rep watches are judged primarily on their accuracy to the appearance to the original watch and only secondarily to it's timekeeping capability, which may be difficult to match.

For myself, I would not make an issue of a 20 second per day accuracy. You can take the advice of those here who can tell you how to regulate the movement, but if you are expecting +-3 seconds per day, you will be chasing the movement around until you wear it out to get 3 seconds on the wrist.

Carl

OK u "pessimists" :bleh:

funny thing that my dealer advised me the new movement needs some time to "settle-in" & also depends on the temperature of the environment.

it's getting warmer here in Sydney now so...

After almost 2 weeks of wearing my PAM 177M V2, the time accuracy is around +8 sec/day!!!

I did not have to regulate it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But I agree with Rolexman, Asian movement can be regulated to more accurate times.

My Omega Speedmaster with Asian 7750 was accurate to around +4 sec/day as I recall.