When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serviced movement loosing power reserve. Normal?

slask111

Hi,

I bought a watch with a A7750 two years ago and had it serviced by a trusted watchsmith on this forum since i love the watch and want to keep it. The watch have had a good power reserve of about 40h since that service.

I have lately noticed that the power reserve now is down to about 10h. The watch works great otherwise, i have not had it in water and i never use the chrono functions.

As a n00b my question is if this is something i can expect from a serviced watch?

Well. A watch is like a car. You buy it in perfect condition and even when you treat it very very well it's always possible that something breaks down. A movement (like the motor in your car) is under constant strain. Riding your bike, a walk in the park, playing with your dog, running after your toddler.. it's always possible something breaks, get's loose or shifts out of place. Also a movement is never dust proof. The crown is always the entry point (when setting or winding). Maybe a little dirt or debree got in and is causing problems. Who knows? If it got a proper service it usually is something small. Just have it looked at.

If the PR dropped dramatically to the level you are seeing now and the watch was always keep wound then best bet is the main spring let go. Happened to me 2 weeks after I finished a service on one of my pieces. The main spring is under constant stress from expansion and contraction. This is why I now replace the main spring on every gen. Pain in the a$$ having to replace it 2 months after a full service because it let go.

Yea you are right. Its just hard to se my baby feel bad. Its maybe time for the movement to get some more love. I wont give my watchsmith a hard time ;)

Thnx!

If It were me I would contact whoever did the service. Thats not giving this person a hard time,just wondering why a fully serviced movement Is loosing PR. Im sure the person would give you some sound advice,as Bike Mike. Good luck.:) Mike