When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Comments From British Ad

tonyp

Was on holiday in UK last week and went to the largest AD in Old Bond Street – agents for practically all the top brands. Londoners will know who I mean... Anyway, was thinking about either a Black Rolex GMT or a Breguet Type XX.

During the negotiations some interesting points emerged. When I queried how the Rolexes kept their value so well given the number of reps out there, I was told that they are in strictly limited supply: e.g. even this very large dealer only received an allocation of one Sub every 6 weeks, which invariably sold within 48 hours. On the subject of reps, the assistant said ‘you wouldn’t believe the quality of the fakes we see these days – sometimes we have to open the case to be sure’. As I was in the middle of buying a gen, I didn’t pursue the matter, but thought that an unsolicited compliment from the ‘other side’ was worth sharing with all the rep Sub owners here.

On the other hand, decided on the Breguet in the end – and only then did the assistant say how pleased she was I had done so: Rolexes “are very good business for us, but usually bought by people who ‘feel they ought to have a Rolex’: watch enthusiasts usually buy our other brands”. Sorry, guys…

Edited by tonyp

I think that goes for modern Rolexes in particular...

Vintage Rolex lovers are watch enthousiasts for sure! Those are pieces just like the Porsche 911... It will stay functional and beautiful forever...

They are, however, way overmarketed and overestimated for the price... Hence the reason for me to buy MBW's and mod them and enjoy their beauty.

Just my 0,02$

I think that goes for modern Rolexes in particular...

Vintage Rolex lovers are watch enthousiasts for sure! Those are pieces just like the Porsche 911... It will stay functional and beautiful forever...

Very interesting point you make, that I hadn't considered at all - in fact I have a 1986 model 911 Carrera and am not remotely interested in the modern water-cooled Porsches like Boxster, Cayman etc... Food for thought indeed.

That one almost made me blow my coffee through my nose! They sell over (pinky to corner of mouth) 1 million watches a year!

Thom

Point taken, but what I guess she meant was that they could sell a helluva lot more Subs and certain other models if they could get their hands on them...

That one almost made me blow my coffee through my nose! They sell over (pinky to corner of mouth) 1 million watches a year!

Rolex make 850,000 watches a year, most of which are day-dates, datejusts, etc. The non-datejustesque watches are made in tiny qualtities compared.

Was on holiday in UK last week and went to the largest AD in Old Bond Street – agents for practically all the top brands. Londoners will know who I mean... Anyway, was thinking about either a Black Rolex GMT or a Breguet Type XX.

During the negotiations some interesting points emerged. When I queried how the Rolexes kept their value so well given the number of reps out there, I was told that they are in strictly limited supply: e.g. even this very large dealer only received an allocation of one Sub every 6 weeks, which invariably sold within 48 hours. On the subject of reps, the assistant said ‘you wouldn’t believe the quality of the fakes we see these days – sometimes we have to open the case to be sure’. As I was in the middle of buying a gen, I didn’t pursue the matter, but thought that an unsolicited compliment from the ‘other side’ was worth sharing with all the rep Sub owners here.

On the other hand, decided on the Breguet in the end – and only then did the assistant say how pleased she was I had done so: Rolexes “are very good business for us, but usually bought by people who ‘feel they ought to have a Rolex’: watch enthusiasts usually buy our other brands”. Sorry, guys…

This has actually been discussed before. Rolex artificially manages to keep the price of their watches high, but manipulating the supply side of the supply and demand dynamic. I guess they would rather sell fewer watches at higher prices than more at lower, even though they can probably bring in more revenue with the alternate approach (but probably at leaner margins). Clearly their concern is protecting the luxury brand... you have to give them credit for not allowing short term revenue opportunities to distract them from their longer term interests. It is true they produce 1MM watches a year. It is also true, the sell virtually every watch they produce.