When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836 Autowind Mechanism Issues

redwatch

Broken or gummed up reversing wheels. Although ETA states not to wash them, I always give them an Ultra Sonic clean when dirty. After that hand winding is smooth as butter. If you don't have an US cleaner you can use some white spirit. Just leave them in for 5 minutes.

bergeon one dip is very good for loosening up stuck reversing wheels

Well a couple of pointers for the noob's out there:

1. Never, ever, ever pour Bergeon One Dip into a plastic container. Bad idea :doh: Melted my nice little container quite quickly :wounded1:

2. It seems as though there is one click wheel in the auto wind mechanism that has two jewels in it. I don't think that particular wheel is supposed to be cleaned in One Dip as it looks like the jewels have been eaten through (there are holes in them now)

3. Always make notes so you know how it goes back together (I assumed I would remember and now I don't)

Point of all of this? My framework and gear train is pretty much done. Anyone have any spare broken 2836's or 2824's they don't need?? :whistling: