When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

first mod. 1680 shot, hand painting tecnique still needed

Tiyal

Aloha All,

I got married a couple weeks back. For the groomsmen, I went the extra mile and picked up 3 red 1680s from Josh. (the man! great communication and speed)

All the edges were softened the case and bands were oiled sanded, re-sanded then polished cleaned and oiled. Drilled out the end-links 2mm, be careful bent the C#*P out of them and had to rework them back into shape. Drilled the cases at 1.2mm (one at 2mm "woops")

Bezel inserts got a sand and a bath in bleach based draino. Then a tuch of shoe-goo to keep um hanging on for a while.

Then i pulled the movements and re-lumed with noctiLumina. This was a challenge, with out pulling the hands I really have no idea how to make the hands look great. I gave up on the hands after the first watch. It had a cool vintage look but I also really like clean lines of fresh and bright hands. Lumeing the dial was cut and dry. A steady hand and a number 0 brush. The lume came out pretty good, uneven here and there but had the powdery look of old tritium. (Couple spills outside the lines but not bad).

Reassembled 2 complete watches and took one gromsmans beater Oyster Precision and put a 1680 band on it (looked cool!). Then gave him the head with the 2mm holes on black canvas. (i still need to get the 2mm bars to complete this piece){source?).

Enjoy the photo

post-11567-0-09014600-1313106199.png

Any more pics? This one is hard to see unfortunately. It's too far back and too small for my aging eyes :D

Just one, with the wedding life was Crazzzy !! my photographer took some of the set when I handed them out when I get these, I'll post.

This one is a crappy iphone shot with the lume complete, plus my vac'd GMT.

post-11567-0-63776400-1313106783.jpg

Edited by Tiyal