When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A close call

andreww

So I go out for my nightly run tonight. I usually wear one of my lighter chronos when I run but as I've been rehabbing a torn abdominal and have only been going at about 70%, I didn't bother to change my massive new Graham Tech Seal before I left. I run my usual mile and find that the abdominal has been virtually pain free, so after a couple of cool down laps I decide to do a 100 meter sprint. I'd completely forgotten the watch I was wearing and also neglected to loosen up the strap a notch as I usually do. After a gentle start (babying that abdominal) I was able to accelerate through the 65 meter point and maintain a good speed to the end... almost. At the 90 meter mark my bulging wrist snapped a springbar and I watched my beautiful Graham go sailing about 10 feet in the air and about 15 feet in front of me, as if in slow motion. It hit the track with a thud and bounced a couple of times before coming to a stop. To my amazement, after dusting it off, there wasn't a mark on it and it was still running perfectly. I popped the springbar back in, strapped it on my wrist (one notch looser) and was able to finish my run feeling very very lucky!

I've had a Tudor 7032 land crown-first onto the sidewalk, after a not-so-secure springbar popped out. The force took off a subdial hand, and dinged the case good. And yesterday, the clasp on my genuine Rolex 7205 bracelet snapped around a joint. It's 50 years old, but still... :black_eye:

If your Graham made it without a scratch, then well done, Wrist Hulk!