When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Daytona... Now a member

Ephry73

Hello guys and gals. I have been lurking the forum for a few months now and have gotten some really great advise and awesome insights on what it takes to be a true collector as well as shared whatever little information I have as well. Recently I stuck a deal for a 6263 with a v23 movement and all of the sub dials work. The only issue I see with the watch thus far is that the pushers were butchered, and I see no case back gasket or o-ring.

Questions, do these 6263 Rollies get a gasket in the back(no pun)?

What is the best source for pushers, are there any others than the Nostalgia store?

So far all of the functions work correctly, from what I have read, and just looking to get more information on how to maintain and service this lovely piece of engineering. I know it's not much, but I kinda like it. Some quick and dirty pictures included.

I already have a t-21 crystal in the works and will take the case apart, but want to make sure I have the correct pushers first and a guide on how to take the movement out without killing it.

E

DSC_0013-4.jpg

DSC_0015-3.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0017-3.jpg

DSC_0018-2.jpg

DSC_0021-2.jpg

Duplicate server 500 error. Please delete.

E

Well done on your purchase. I have bought pushers from both Ofrei and Cousins in the UK. I am told that the Ofrei ones are the same aftermarket ones that Rolex themselves use but can't confirm this. I know nothing about taking watches apart so can't help you there. One thing to mention, you say the watch has a V23 movement, if this was the case then the hour totaliser on the stop watch would not function. If it does on your watch then I'd investigate what movement you have actually got in there. Hope this helps. Good luck with the pushers etc.

Edited by dieselpower

when you say both buttons do functions, the top one should start and stop the chronograph and the bottom one will reset it, that is all they should do,

I notice that the 12 hour totaliser is following the hour hand and if that is the case you more than likly have a seagull in there which should not command the price a v23 would

A photo of the movement will confirm what you have

yes, something a bit off in the pusher locations, it's far lower than what I would expect for a valjoux 72 or an asian venus st-19. One thing about the st-19 movment is that the hours is always running (correct me if I'm wrong), so it would not be affected by your chronograph buttons much.

You guys are a plethora of information!

@FxrAndy: Well, the 12hr does follow the hour had. It does this in normal operation and when changing time. The top button does indeed start/stop and bottom resets. The engagement is very smooth and the hand does hit the markers correctly all the way around. That I am happy with. From what I see, it is the Seagull movement, then I will be OK with that. My correction on the whole V23 thing. I thought the V23 was the Venus 23, but in looking at material, I see it is the Valjoux description. I need to learn this new Chrono lingo. The dial has the seconds at 9, 12hr at 6, and .5 minute at 3? Again, never really played with chronographs until last night. I have pictures of the movement that I will post tonight. Thanks again guys for your awesome feedback and great information sharing.

@Praetor: The guy I bought it from told me it was a Lemania movement in a recent(as of two minutes ago) email. I cannot verify this yet.

E

Unfortunatly the terminology here is the issue, the seagull has been refered to a venus and lemania and a number of other names in the past due to it being based on those designs

Look at the description fromtrusty here and you can see that is a seagull (with the hand at 6 frozen)so the dealers descriptions dont help with the correct naming of movements

O.T.

Ohhhh have we had that some time before a movement called on thing when it was actualy another???

Ok pictures of the movement attached. I was a little disappointed when I took the crown tube out. It's pressed in. The crown however, looks like a 702. Odd. I pressed it back in and installed everything how I found it. I still need a gasket.

Is it ok to use say a 703 crown and tube like Ken's or Asian like that? what would be the "ideal" crown?

Does anyone have any clue as to whose case this can be?

E

DSC_0641.jpg

I wanted to know if anyone has clamps and screws for these watches to sell. I will also need Information regarding what type of pusher to use with this case to keep the build as "accurate" as possible.

Does the crown look alright, or should I stick the gen 703 and tube in there? Does anyone have any "fake" 702 crowns or tubes to sell?

E

Can anyone help me identify this movement? I tried to look for any signage and nothing. Perhaps on the dial side, but for now I prefer not to take it off. I cleaned the case and ordered the pushers. What type of clamps and screws would be usable to secure the movement?

E

Does anyone have any information on this movement and what clamps size I should order to secure it to the case? ANY help has and is greatly appreciated. I polished the crystal and will skip getting a tropics one until all of the other parts have been looked at.

E

• Like 1

E: I'm still a bit stumped as to the exact source of this case, unfortunately. Regarding the movement, Andy already called it: It's a Sea-Gull ST-19 aka 'Venus' aka 'Lemania'. This is the go-to movement for nearly all hand-wind chronograph duties in the rep world, and a reliable one, too.

As for the crown, 703 would be best on the 6263. It's a bit hard to see the current crown in your pictures, but I'll bet you'll see a real improvement with the gen. If not, you'll at least feel the superiority of the gen crown.

Dimensions for genuine-spec pushers (e.g. Ofrei, CousinsUK, or Rolex itself): 0.25mm diameter, 0.2 thread pitch.

Thanks LHOOQ.

I ordered the tap for the pushers and both the pushers and the crown are pressed in. The case doesn't look that bad when compared to other ones, and the engraving on the case back actually looks pretty good. I'm glad the movement is what I hoped it would be. Not too expensive and reliable. So far it runs a +1 minute/day, but I am sure it will get better. I may just use this daily until I get it just right.

The crown almost looks like the 702 narrow 7mm diameter crown for the twin-lock tube. I am replacing it with a gen 703 I got from Red and will use the current crown in a trevor 5514 case to keep the Cgs looking good in that case.

Do the Gen dials fit this lemania movement? Does anyone know?

On a side note, is everyone ok after the earthquake?

E

Do the Gen dials fit this lemania movement? Does anyone know?

First of all, let's refer to them as Sea-Gull movements to avoid any McQueen-style confusion!

I think you've seen the thread where ChiMan12 was able to fit a gen-spec dial onto his Sea-Gull-powered 6263, but only after modding the movement. Not an easy mod for mere mortals: I rate it "Skill Level 3" on the Revell scale.

First of all, let's refer to them as Sea-Gull movements to avoid any McQueen-style confusion!

LOL

I think you've seen the thread where ChiMan12 was able to fit a gen-spec dial onto his Sea-Gull-powered 6263, but only after modding the movement. Not an easy mod for mere mortals: I rate it "Skill Level 3" on the Revell scale.

Gotcha. I will look for that thread. Maybe I will tackel that in the spring, when my brain decides to flourish and come out of it's shell.

I am still waiting on the dammed pushers. Got the o-ring for the caseback and it fits perfectly. Now the head is that much closer to being water tight.

Is there anything I should be looking at as far as specs for modifying the case to make it look more gen like? Other than pictures of course.

E

HAHA.I kinda like the idea of an inexpensive Daytona with a good working movement. Sort of like the Florida version of a 1972 Jaguar with a small block V8 engine. Elegant, yet deadly. ;)

For the time being i will just get this thing going to where it looks and works as it should.

E

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question, does anyone know what hand sizes the ST19-02 movement has? I need to get a set of hands for the second movement I have, and there are a few sets on eBay and I wanted to know if anyone has tried them, or if there is a better, not so expensive alternative.

Thanks in advance.

E