When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I Need Some Help

acatman

Guys I purchased an Explorer I from a member which was made in 2008 or 2009 and need some help.

1. I have searched everywhere looking for a tutorial on how to change to case tube. can someone direct me to one?

2. Is the crown 6mm?

3. What size tap do I need? This will probably be answered in a tutorial.

4. Is there a crystal I can install to rid it of the etched coronet?

I thank you in advance!

Guys I purchased an Explorer I from a member which was made in 2008 or 2009 and need some help.

1. I have searched everywhere looking for a tutorial on how to change to case tube. can someone direct me to one?

2. Is the crown 6mm?

4. Is there a crystal I can install to rid it of the etched coronet?

I thank you in advance!

Yes the crown is 6mm

Tubes can be found here I forget which one exactly, sorry.

For crystal you want Clark's, the coronet is barely visible.

1. "I have searched everywhere looking for a tutorial on how to change to case tube. can someone direct me to one?"

There should be a thread about this on RWG if you search it out. If not, go to google etc and look for 'changing a rolex case tube'.

Some watches will have a 5.3mm case tube with a 6.0mm crown like modern genuine rolex watches. Others will have a regular 6.0mm case tube and regular 6.0mm crown like older models.

Threads in the case for a 5.3mm case tube = 2.5mm X .25mm

Threads in the case for a regular 6.0mm tube = 3.0mm X .35mm.

The outside diameter on a 6.0mm case tube where it screws into the crown is about 4.4mm.

The od on a 5.3mm case tube where it screws into the crown is about 4.0mm.

You must have special taps for the case...they are not easy to find and expen$ive compared to regular taps. Drill bit sizes needed to bore the case before threading are available on the internet. Look for 'drill bit size to tap size' etc.

Most of the time the original threads in the case are Ok after removing the case tube.

There are two types of case tubes other than the sizes...OLD and NEW style.

OLD = the inside diameter has to be broached to fit the crown post after installation.

NEW = no broaching.

Always specify NEW style unless you have broaches etc.

Tools are available to install old or new type case tubes but you can usually get by without them.

Note:

If you ever need to bore and thread a case for a 6.0mm tube that originally came with a 5.3mm tube...make sure there is enough metal under the gasket groove in the case to allow for the larger case tube. Sometimes going to a regular 6.0mm case tube from a 5.3mm tube will cut through the case into the gasket groove.

2. "Is the crown 6mm?"

Yes, 6.0mm is the outside diameter.

Tap sizes are listed above. A 7.0mm modern submariner case tube has the same case tube threads as a regular 6.0mm case tube.

4. "Is there a crystal I can install to rid it of the etched coronet?"

If the case is made to oem spec, you can use a regular generic rolex crystal and gasket. If the case is not oem spec and it uses a flat side crystal, you can substitute a regular sapphire or mineral glass crystal of the correct size.

I made an Ex I out of parts on hand and it took a 29.5mm X 2.0mm straight side sapphire crystal (about $20). The crystal sizes are not all the same on replica Ex I watches so you will have to measure the crystal to make sure what size it is.

Something else...generic straight side sapphire crystals will usually have a shallow tapered top edge compared to a genuine or replica type rolex crystal.

On my Ex I project the shallow tapered area did not matter because there is very little crystal rising above the bezel ring. Submariners, GMT, Ex II etc have more crystal showing above the bezels and a regular sapphire crystal might not look right.