When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Drill Do You Like?

Just curious as to your experiences with drilling lugholes. my drill is ok, i havent the slightest idea who makes it, but i was curious as to what some of you used and how you felt it held up on this sort of application, cause i wanna get a new one.

and please dont tell me a low rpm hand drill, cause i already own one and know that, i am more curious as to experiences with specific models.

thanks guys

Just curious as to your experiences with drilling lugholes. my drill is ok, i havent the slightest idea who makes it, but i was curious as to what some of you used and how you felt it held up on this sort of application, cause i wanna get a new one.

and please dont tell me a low rpm hand drill, cause i already own one and know that, i am more curious as to experiences with specific models.

thanks guys

I take a handdrill,

because you can better control the force...

thats a cool little drill serg.

from what i know from my last drill, the bits go through the best at a medium speed and almost no push, too low a speed does nothing, and too high heats up to fast. the problem for my drill is that the speed is controlled by pressure on the trigger instead of a speed adjuster on the drill, which makes for uneven speeds (what did i expect for $20)

also, pushing breaks bits left and right. when i just add the slightest amount of pressure, it glides through, may take about 10 minutes a hole, but i break less bits.

I'd use a drill press, not a hand drill. I don't see how you can get a clean and true through hole doing it by hand.

I'd go at it with a very low RPM and use plenty of lubricant. And I'd finish it off with a slight chamfer.

Here's a reasonably inexpensive press that would do the trick. (Hand drills cost as much or more)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9986

good point, what does that run? and how do you harness the movement?

Price is on the website. $59.95 plus shipping.

An X-Y vice would be my first choice for holding the case down. Something like this: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5512

But there are far cheaper alternatives that you could surely make work.

I would welcome suggestions as well.

I was looking at the Makita angle drill which has received excellent reviews. There is also a more powerful model but it is more expensive an the additional power probably is not necessary.

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=20836

An angle drill is not the right tool for drilling lugholes.... FYI.

I'd use a drill press, not a hand drill. I don't see how you can get a clean and true through hole doing it by hand.

I'd go at it with a very low RPM and use plenty of lubricant. And I'd finish it off with a slight chamfer.

Here's a reasonably inexpensive press that would do the trick. (Hand drills cost as much or more)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9986

i've done it at all my watches by hand...

Iworks for me...

and looks good...

I've been using a 12v Ryobi. I bought one of these while we were doing some renovation work in my hotel because I was tired of lugging around an 18v Dewalt. The Ryobi held up so well under heavy use I decided to buy one to use at home too. It came with the 2 speed drill/driver a charger, 2 batteries and a flashlight for about $65 bucks.