When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NTD opinions

danielv2000

What do you guys have to say about the varying sizes listed for the dials between the 3 main makers? I am trying to emulate Donerix's poor man's 6542 franken and I'm trying to narrow down which dial is best suited for my needs. We all know how wokky the PureTime case is and how the rehaut needs to be sanded down and a larger dial fitted, so its my thinking that the largest dial would be best.

For just the 6542 dial I'm getting the following measurements:

InGod44 26.5mm

Yuki 27.3mm

NDT 27.8mm

Should dial sizes really be varying that much?

Should they? Probably not, but they do - and more. The ETA dials in cartel type cases are running from 28.3mm - 28.5mm. In terms of accuracy, I they are passable, but I don't think any of them are really accurate. That's why I make my own.

nanuq2.jpg6204-1.jpg

Mydialpic.jpgRolex6542BlackDial.jpg

Should they? Probably not, but they do - and more. The ETA dials in cartel type cases are running from 28.3mm - 28.5mm. In terms of accuracy, I they are passable, but I don't think any of them are really accurate. That's why I make my own.

nanuq2.jpg6204-1.jpg

Mydialpic.jpgRolex6542BlackDial.jpg

Can you post a thread about how you make them?

Water-slide decals on Otto Frei blank dials, with lots of practice! Get a picture of the dial you want and use a photo program to size/color and tweak it as you want.

Inkjet printers do not print white, so any lighter colors, such as the lettering on a black dial will print out quite opaque. So the dial surface will affect the lighter colors. For gilt dials I've been applying the decal to bare brass. And I've found that if scuffed up a bit with sandpaper, it gives a very 'gilty' look to it.

I'd recommend using Krylon Crystal Clear® in gloss, satin or flat depending on the finish you want to seal the decal. The other sealers cause the ink to bleed a bit, but I've had no bleed with Krylon within 10 miutes of printing.

I'd suggest a setting solution to apply the decal as they do really adhere much better. As with everything, there is a learning process, but it is really quite easy to do.

I am a lousy photographer, so those pics don't do justice to the watches, and I'm still learning to lume a dial. On the GMT the insert is made with the decals too.

Joey, where did you source (or how did you make) the lollipop handset for the 6204?

Much the same way as I made the small GMT 4th hand, piecing it together using low temperature solder paste, and finishing off with 1500 sandpaper. It takes practice, just as all this stuff does. I literally vaporized my 1st attempt. All the advice I can give is to go real slow and easy with the heat/torch. It's like making fine jewelry.

InGod dials, while accurate , have very weak print and will rub off easily. You'll have to treat them carefully.

I have seen other sellers, from time to time, offer really accurate dials and you'll have to snap them up on the spot.

Overall quality of dials(printwise) from low to high...IMO...

1. InGod

2. Yuki

3. NDT/Phong/Cartel(yes! Cartel dials have very good print quality)

InGod makes accurate dials, but there are less to choose from, while the others have a pool of dial makers and source different dials on a regular basis.

NDT (Natalie's Passion) has recently been offering up some really good dials.

A couple of more suggestions...keep you eye out on Swissdialco on fleabay, they do redials and ever so often, they will list extra dials. I missed a 5514 re-dial that they did and it was stellar.

Plan your project, then do some research...sometimes patience is the key to a good vintage project...

there is always the MBK if you can find it for sale separately, usually run about $70

6087756181_ce4907c5e2_b.jpg