When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer or Skyland Avenger?

PPN

Been interested in getting a Breitling recently, but it'd be my first. I really like the look of the Navitimer and the Skyland Avenger both. I read the reviews here on the forum, and it seems both are replicated pretty well.

Which do you think is the more iconic model to the brand?

Are both repped accurately? Any major flaws I should look out for?

Thanks.

Skyland is by far repped more accurately. However, the Navitimer is a very decent rep, its main flaws being a sunken date wheel, wrong date font, and misaligned slide rule, and lack of AR. Even though the Skyland is near perfect, I tend to wear my Navitimer more often simply because it is a far more comfortable watch. If you are planning to wear this watch daily, you might find that the Skyland is a bit too top heavy and bulky. On rubber or leather its a bit more comfortable but its still a big, thick chunk of steel. If you have multiple watches and are going to wear this one on occasion, definitely go with the Skyland.

Skyland is by far repped more accurately. However, the Navitimer is a very decent rep, its main flaws being a sunken date wheel, wrong date font, and misaligned slide rule, and lack of AR. Even though the Skyland is near perfect, I tend to wear my Navitimer more often simply because it is a far more comfortable watch. If you are planning to wear this watch daily, you might find that the Skyland is a bit too top heavy and bulky. On rubber or leather its a bit more comfortable but its still a big, thick chunk of steel. If you have multiple watches and are going to wear this one on occasion, definitely go with the Skyland.

Great breakdown, Andrew, this helps a lot. Any other Breitling model you'd recommend? Which one of the two is the more "iconic" model?

I think personal preference comes in here too. I have both, I like them both but, everything else being equal, I'd choose the Navitimer. Why? I like math and the circular slide rule appeals to me. It was designed as a flight computer for pilots. I'm a pilot. So, while the Avenger might be a more accurate rep, personal preference makes me choose the Navitimer.

Having said all that, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Skyland Avenger.

I think personal preference comes in here too. I have both, I like them both but, everything else being equal, I'd choose the Navitimer. Why? I like math and the circular slide rule appeals to me. It was designed as a flight computer for pilots. I'm a pilot. So, while the Avenger might be a more accurate rep, personal preference makes me choose the Navitimer.

Having said all that, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Skyland Avenger.

I agree. And while I could be wrong about this, my feeling is that the Navitimer is a little more iconic? More people would probably instantly recognize it as a Breitling.

I'm also concerned that the Avenger may be a little too bulky - 45mm with a thick bezel.

Meh, as the current Navi is a Tricompax design, it will never be perfect because of the sunken datewheel issue. Aside from the datewheel the current rep isn't that bad. Remember, this rep has been out for about six years now and the gen has been unchanged for about eight years. I am fairly certain that the gen Navi will be updated soon, probably with a B01 movement, so that will probably be when the factories begin work an what will probably be the first really decent Navitimer. Its a shame because if they just did a custom datewheel and added decent AR, the current model would be far more tempting to more people.

Meh, as the current Navi is a Tricompax design, it will never be perfect because of the sunken datewheel issue. Aside from the datewheel the current rep isn't that bad. Remember, this rep has been out for about six years now and the gen has been unchanged for about eight years. I am fairly certain that the gen Navi will be updated soon, probably with a B01 movement, so that will probably be when the factories begin work an what will probably be the first really decent Navitimer. Its a shame because if they just did a custom datewheel and added decent AR, the current model would be far more tempting to more people.

I agree, sort of like what they did on the ultimate PO.

The sunken date wheel really stands out too much for me.

7753 will address the sunken DW

but you'll lose the quick date set functionality

Can a Tri Compac 7750 be installed to address sunken date wheel?

chronoluvvv, that is really sweet.

I guess that means it doesn't bother you. ;-) Actually from that angle you can't even tell!

first time I came across as sweet, LoL but hey it sure doesn't hurt

The key words here are "from that angle"