When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's just a datejust story.

irolexu

Thought I would share this with you guys. This piece is the most sentimental watch I have to date, got it when I was 13...back in 2002 I joined your rep game :) Believe it or not this watch started off at the bottom of the barrel chinese typical rep. It started out with a 21J movement that only lasted 2 weeks. Cheap crystal with what they called a date-mag and a stainless plated crown! (come on you could have at least gave me a true stainless crown!!) After the movement broke I ended up doing a lot of research on the good and the bad with these watches and ended up ordering a 2836-2 Swiss ETA and that got installed with some new hands. years passed and the crystal finally started chipping away and my friend's grandpa had plenty of rolex parts lying around so he installed a genuine rolex crystal after slight mods (I sat there and watched him mod away for hours at this watch to get it to fit snug) and more years have passed and just recently swapped that brown faded crown to a genuine crown/tube set up which actually made it water resistant. my voyage of modding this watch will keep going until I feel it is done :winkiss: next on my final mods are genuine rolex dial I bought off ebay and polished oyster band. When it is done I will have another datejust build that I will of course post here so you guys can watch progress. So far I have a 16000 case on hold and need to source various parts.

post-38265-0-06003900-1315373157.jpg

post-38265-0-99743300-1315373200.jpg

post-38265-0-08133400-1315373243.jpg

post-38265-0-61538600-1315373315.jpg

post-38265-0-18214400-1315373865.jpg

nice story, nice watch also. i too have a similar 2000 or so rep same black dial with stick markers, ran perfect time even to this day, the bezel though is starting to cr@p out (plated only) but the entire watch is SS including the crown. oyster band, engine turned bezel i think its powered by some asian 21j also.

Fantastic story! Already wearing a Rolex at age 13? You had style that I definitely didn't understand at that age.

I remember when I was in my mid-teens my brother was doing very well and owned a (gen) DateJust. He told me he was saving up for a Presidential and when I was older he'd give me the DateJust. I looked at him and told him he was stupid, why would I ever want such an expensive watch?! I had to eat my own words several years later when I picked up my first watch, a vintage DateJust. :rolleyes: