When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rotor Problem With One Of My Cheaper Watches...

Hip Hop

Hey I have one of those cheaper sub's that were on offer from timeshop (I think it was timeshop...) and have a problem with the movement/rotor!

Every now and then the rotor starts to spin wildly by itself, it goes so fast that it actually make the watch wobble back and forth on my wrist and then the watch stops, kinda like it's used all the built up energy by spinning it self backwards???

I took the case back off to have a look, and if I wind the watch up, then turn the crown a tiny bit the opposite way, it suddenly spins itself up for about 45 seconds then stops, and the movement slowly comes to a stop also!

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Thanks!

Edited by Dan Mumford

That was probably me that mentioned it earlier...the cheezy movement in my Explorer II. The rotor was barely working and the movement stopped at the 20 second mark...in my attempt to greeze the rotor bearing and I killed the movement. I would suggest not monkying with it if your not experianced. If the rep is one you want to keep, seek out a member that can service that movement, it prolly just needs to be lubed and adjusted properlly, or you may end up killing it as I did.

Good Luck,

Rob

Sounds like the click is no longer functioning. Assuming it is a 21j it is the little silver nub you can see in the gap at the 6 o'clock position in this picture (just to the right of the screw).

426215d1303589012-what-movement-movement%202.jpg

Depending on what's wrong with the click it could either be simple or difficult to fix. Generally speaking servicing a 21j is not worth it since new ones can be had for around $15. However, if you have access to someone that knows their way around a movement they might be able to sort it out for you.

Good luck.