When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

176 troubles

Mills

I've had a 176H for a few months now and found it to be reliable each time I frequently wore it. Unfortunately my baby daughter, with her endless fascination of anything shiny, dropped it onto our tiled floor yesterday and it's now stopped working. Winds still but the hands just don't turn.

I've got two options:

a) Buy a new 6497 movement and try the transplant. I'm a noob to replacing movements so might [censored] it up but I'm also up for a challenge.

B) send it off for a service and fix.

Trouble with option a is the risk I'll mess it up as well as the replacement movement costing $100. Trouble with b is I have no idea where to send it.

Any advice?

It may not a problem on movement I think...take out the hands and see if movement running normally or not, and then decide what to do next.

I think you might be right sir. Playing with it more, I noticed that it ran fine when the minute and the hour hands were far away from each other but then as the minute hand got close to the hour, it began to stick. I've ordered a set of precision screwdrivers so I can take the movement out and check the positioning of the hands as I think one is touching the other.

This 176 of mine has really been great to learn on. First I had the crown stem loose and now this :)

I had a similar problem recently with the H-factory 176 (dropped by myself, though). When I opened it I found out that the dial is not sitting flat on the movement, rather it came out and was sticking out thus jamming the second hand. I had to glue in the dial as its two legs didn't do a good job in keeping it flat on the movement. With this fix it runs perfectly as before. Might be a generick problem on the newer manual H-factory PAMs, the "unreliable" movment problems might be due to the dial coming off and not to do anything with the movement itself.

I had a similar problem recently with the H-factory 176 (dropped by myself, though). When I opened it I found out that the dial is not sitting flat on the movement, rather it came out and was sticking out thus jamming the second hand. I had to glue in the dial as its two legs didn't do a good job in keeping it flat on the movement. With this fix it runs perfectly as before. Might be a generick problem on the newer manual H-factory PAMs, the "unreliable" movment problems might be due to the dial coming off and not to do anything with the movement itself.

Thanks. I read on another post that the hands and dial are really delicate and easy to mark from the H factory. Was it easy to do?

When I opened it I found out that the dial is not sitting flat on the movement, rather it came out and was sticking out thus jamming the second hand.

So I opened the watch up, removed the mechanism and saw exactly the symptom you described. The dial was slightly loose and 1-2mm away from the mechanism. Glued it down and everything seems to be working perfectly again.

Little bit of a nerve wracking experience but enjoyable and made me so happy when the minute hand carried on past the hour after fixing it. Putting the watch back together was a right pain in the &rse, getting the retainers back in was incredibly fiddly but patience prevailed.

Thanks for the advice.