When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need your expertise on this red sub dial, is it a gen?

dutchguy2

Just bought this red sub dial and it was sold to me as a gen.

redsub.jpg

redsubback.jpg

I noticed a couple of differences to the dials spoken of at the doubleredseadweller page here: http://doubleredseadweller.com/rs1.htm

This is what I noticed:

1. Submariner printing is smaller than the depth rating. This would be correct for the first gen dials.

2. the Coronet is correct for a second gen dial but not for a first gen dial!

3. the little minute index markers should end before they hit the hour markers, on my dial the don't, they hit the hour markers.

4. the space between the word ROLEX and the words oyster perpetual date should be bigger than on my dial.

5. The F in Ft should be a short one on the gen 1 dials and a long one on the gen 2 dials. On mine it looks long but this is not correct with the coronet. and if it is short it is not correct with the length of the word submarine!

Could it be a service dial??

Help, what is it?

Thanks for looking>

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Hmm, im so no expert mr D. But from what i have seen from the redline dials this one lools a little fishy, the things you pointed out + the red coler looks fresh and to ME it looks to red.

Oohh yes. I totely missed the backside pic of the dial, that looks fishy to.

If i (we) may ask, what did you pay?

Guest zeleni kukuruz

If you ask me, there are better fake redlines out there.

But im intrested in how much did you pay and who sold it to you?

And way dident you post a pic HERE on rwg before you bought it?

What I've learned to do is take the suspect dial into photoshop, increase the transparency and overlay with known gen dials. The look for any parts that don't line up. With my 1680 I was able to find that a Mark 1 white dial matched up with some scans from the Submariner Story and several on VRF. just my 2 cents. You can really do this with any part, as I am starting to learn.

Ok, but what kind of fake?

Is it a decent reprint like ingod33, yuki or ndt is using? Or is it total crap?

Look at the coronet and print with a magnifier glass to if the text is printed in relief like the gen dials.

If it looks flat to you, I'd say you have a bad kind of reprint.

As for the accuracy....you found out on your self it mixes old and newer style.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I have bought it allready! It is in transit to me. I payed 125€ and did not realy expect it to be gen for the money but the seller still claimes it is a gen.

Oh then its NO biggy 125europen donkys aint nothing to cry over. But You could ask for a charge back and save the money for somthing better. At least now you know its a fake and if he still gives you a hard time then contact paypal, HE said it was a gen one and you can prove that its not.

Oh come on! :bangin: Red sub dials start at $3,500 - even crappy ones. Anything less than that and you are wasting your time. I am a firm believer that you can on a very rare occasion find an entire watch at a ridiculous price but never something like a dial. Anyone who goes to the trouble to pull out a dial or "happens to have a random vintage dial" laying around is out to scam you.

Oh come on! :bangin: Red sub dials start at $3,500 - even crappy ones. Anything less than that and you are wasting your time. I am a firm believer that you can on a very rare occasion find an entire watch at a ridiculous price but never something like a dial. Anyone who goes to the trouble to pull out a dial or "happens to have a random vintage dial" laying around is out to scam you.

Ditto.