When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dw Flaws

sydneysider

Hi guys,

am in the process of becoming the owner of a DW 6263 (bicompax),

now: what are the flaws?(or are there any!!!!) I would normally search for hours, but have too much work right now but am dying to know.

thanks to those kind enough to reply without telling me to f&"k off and search for myself!

cheers,

Robbie

The mystery movement is a known problem... But basic aesthetic flaws exist for each dial type, and are specific to their relative dials. For example- The standard black dial flaws typically include:

-Incorrect placement of the coronet on the dial.

-Incorrect color center seconds hand (should be silver; dw's is usually black).

-New versions have too white of subdials.

However, some of the flaws are across the board as well (as they exist on things like the case, etc)...

-Incorrect font size for the bezel engraving (on the steel 6265 bezel).

-Crown and tube are incorrect in appearance.

-'Teeth' on the pushers are not of the same style/size cut.

-Mystery movement equipped watches have the crown slightly above axis in relation to the pushers when viewing at the profile (this is, I suspect, because the movement is a bi-compax, which makes the movement a bit thinner, and puts the movement closer to the dial side as a result).

The 'flaws' can be corrected if desired; I've modified mine to an extent, but some things are just not significant enough for me to really worry about. I focused on the functional aspects of the watch- Movement, crown, tube, crystal were all changed out for function/longevity/reliability reasons. Other changes, like hands were a by-product of those mods as new parts had to be sourced anyways.

That said, DW's dials are quite nice for rep dials. The flaws mentioned are really nitpicking the details. Overall quality is good :)

These are amongst the most accurate assembled vintage Daytonas out of the box. In terms of overall dimension/size/detail, these are in a similar league to MBW's vintage line. Genuine parts fit with very little hassle.

Guest RiverwindMDS
Thank you very much for the info, it is highly appreciated!

Robbie

Just take the non exotic version of the dial. You don't have to take the paul neman, the dial is not as good as the "normal" one.

• 1 month later...

The DW case is pretty close to the later model Oyster cases. What you have referenced in your picture above is a Twinlock with pump pushers, like the 6239.

Here are a few pictures from eBay to show the difference:

First, the Oyster case:

158651-12924.jpg

158651-12925.jpg

...and the 6239:

158651-12926.jpg

158651-12927.jpg

158651-12928.jpg

Here's a 6240, which had both screw-down pushers, and a Twinlock crown:

158651-12929.jpg

158651-12930.jpg

It seems that the "bulge" is a characteristic of the Oyster case, with the Triplock crown.

Edited by avitt

@Avitt, you are completely right. I don't know, but in my eyes, the Rolex oyster case bulge looks different to the bulge on the DW case. The dw case bulge seems to be "flatter" and longer, furthermore it looks to me that the genuine oyster case does not have the sunk in part where the crown sits (sorry about the bad description). Compare this picture to the DW case.post-694-1164915973_thumb.jpg Also there is a difference where the pushers are...

Edited by the collector

I understand what you're saying. The genuine bulge is much more of a "shaped curve". I'm looking at the back of the 6263 that I'm wearing today, and I don't think that you could modify the case without making it look like a 6239 (ie. taking the bulge off altogether).

It looks to me like two different cases. The top one looks OK, but I'd be concerned about the bottom one. Once the case is countersunk, and the tube is correctly installed, I'd be worried about a 7mm crown hitting the bezel.

I agree with you about the back...but to me, all of the differences are moot, as these things are exponentially more expensive than DW.

BTW, do you think he puts these cases through a rock tumbler, or what? :blink:

BTW, do you think he puts these cases through a rock tumbler, or what? :blink:

Avitt, that is funny stuff. I've often thought that the many 'shady' vintage watch sellers on eBay utilize a tumbler of sorts. I' ve seen too many suckers bid high on fake items that are deemed authentic due to some sort of uniform patina.

Cheers

I'm going to go toss all of my vintages in the dryer- 5 minutes on permanent press should do it?

BRB.

:lol:

That's a great idea! Here's what I'm going to throw in with the watches:

1. Some pebbles from the yard
  2. Some broken glass
  3. The cat (don't tell my wife...)