When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a Submariner

jpm

Wondering about which Submariner is better and if it's really worth it to go for a Swiss movement

TrustyTime

ROLSUB0007 - Rolex Black Submariner SS (Upgraded) - Asian 21J

Perfect Clones

Rolex - RLSS10009 SS Black Sub BeginMariner Asia Eta 2813

Is BK a trusted seller? Web site? Useful point about the 21J, but then who's looking that closely. If a girl is the type to carry a loupe with her, then better to find out sooner!

650 on a rep seems like a good down-payment or layaway on a genuine.

$650 is a drop in the bucket when you look at retail prices (and you'll be paying retail if you do any sort of layaway at an AD -- $7Kish depending. Generally not much discount on highly sought after sports models). I personally have over 1K into a couple of custom builds that are literally all gen with the exception of a few parts, but the non-Franken equivalent would be in the 10s of thousands. It's all really subjective, but if you don't want to contemplate around $4500 (average) for a decent used gen sub, then $650 up to $1200 for a Franken/top-of-the-line rep that's water tight and only a watchmaker or one of us nerds can call you out on is a pretty good investment. Of course, that's my .02.

Bk is a trusted dealer and IMHO a submariner is not going to impress the ladies might as well get a pres or a really nice DJ

DJ=Datejust?

Anyway, if she's not impressed fine. If she notices at all OK, if she whips out her loupe and starts going cha-ching then run!

"I would stay away from 21j it's a low beat movement and that alone will raise alot of questions used to have one and people just immediately knew it was not near as smooth as it should have been...can't argue with a Swiss eta."

It seems to me that most '21 jewel' DG/Nanning etc (Miyota copies) are just not very efficient auto winders compared to a clean and well oiled swisseta. So...imho a clean swisseta is always a better choice in modern fast beat submariner replicas....but then you have the never ending problem of getting a used, dirty swisseta, etaclone etc. It's a genuine crapshoot.

Meanwhile everyone is waiting for someone to make a report on the new 3135 clone and I read somewhere that it will work with genuine dials and hands. The jury is still out and may be for a long time.

On low cost vintage replicas...if you can live with a 21600 bph DG/NN that may have a winding efficiency problem, you might have to manually wind the watch or shake it now and then to keep it running overnight...or you could replace the DG/NN with a Seagull ST16. I have had a lot better luck with the Seagull ST16 than any DG/NN and it is probably because of the more efficient 'magic lever' winding system.

I went to the trouble of cleaning and oiling a few DG/NN and they were a little better but not much. The last one was a DG 2813 in a modern no date Exp and it still does not have much reserve.

It could also have something to do with the 12 cent mainsprings that come in them. Who knows?

Something else to think about is if you have to unscrew the crown, wind the watch, and screw the crown back down every night because of low reserve...the threads on the tube and crown will not last very long on most replicas.

...and if you stand around shaking the watch all the time, people will wonder what you are practicing for. :partytime: