When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD Crystal?

acatman

Sent my SSD off to have the crown guards reshaped and insert replaced. Well as luck would have it my watch guy accidentally broke the crystal and said that he has one that is a little oversized, but can silicone it in to make it fit. I have never heard of a using silicone to set a watch crystal and want to know if that would be a proper repair? Also, does anyone know the right size and where to get it?

Edited by acatman

It can be too large to fit in the case with the gasket installed, but still smaller than the physical opening in the case. That's why he has to glue it, because it won't press-fit into the gasket.

If you find a crystal that fits the gasket let us know, the rep community has been looking for one forever. Otherwise, having a crystal glued in is your only option. If it's done carefully and correctly, it'll be almost as good as new.

Was using a jig to hold the watch while modding the crown guards. Evidently the watch slipped and the crystal cracked. Needless to say I am not real happy, but things happens. Now I am afraid that the watch will never be the same and I am stuck with a lemon so to speak. Hopefully he can make it right.

Edited by acatman