When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Timezone Watch Stuff

NRG

Hmmm, not sure if this is the correct forum to post....oh what the heck...

I completed the TZL1 course a while back, basic stuff disassembly and reassembly of a 2801-2:

137853-17784.jpg

I'm now coming to the end of the TZL2 course where lubrication and regulation has been the focus as well as getting to grips with a daydate movement (2836-2). I put what I learnt into practice on the 2801 to get some more experience and now have it running +/- 2 secs a day on and off wrist, so very happy. :)

Taking a break from the TZL2 stuff I put together this watch based on a 2824-2...

137853-17785.jpg

The dial is different to the ones from Ofrei and has great lume, however, I was not sure about the black date wheel. Also the watch was running way to fast so time to apply my infant watch skills once more. The 2824-2 was supposed to be new (from a UK source) but I found it dirty and dry! With that fixed it seems to be running a lot better and I fre-fitted the white date wheel, I think this makes the watch more balanced visually.

137853-17786.jpg

I now just need to learn how to put my initials on the dial! :yu: oh and finish the TZL2 stuff.

I can recommend the the TZ course, it's not for the faint hearted though, some of the parts are mind boggling small! You will need a steady hand and be prepared for failures along the way. As an introduction though to basic horology its great :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and had good results...being able to overhaul your own watches if and when needed will pay for the course many times over...

I think they start on the 2801 for one good reason, it's like when I learned Morse Code, send the letters at 15 words per minute, but space the letters at 5 words per minute...otherwise, you can't move past 7 words a minute...

If you started on a 6497, it would be very hard if not impossible to move to a 2836 size movement...you would not develope the fine motor skills needed... Try going from a 6497 to a 2671 ladies size movement...

RG

Excellent course! Going through the TZ courses makes makes Donald de Carlisle's Practice Watch Repairing book very easy to understand. I wish I knew a way to laserprint onto watch dials. I say take a silver marker and sign it a al Ayrton Senna's Tag Chrono. Hah!