When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stubborn Caseback

iglutikut

I cannot for the life of me get the caseback off of a daytona I was given to strip the eta movement out of it. Bergeon tool not working, dont want to strip anything but it appears the die I use on other rolex casebacks doesnt fit(a tad too small, it doesnt lock with the teeth, just spins).. This watch did sit in a drawer for a few years so I bet it is stiff as hell....

tried rubber gloves/ducttape...wont budge.. other then take it to my jeweler, anyone have any sugestions?

Thx

I had a hell of a time opening my WM 1680. I finally put it in a movement holder and then clamped the movement holder in the vice in my workshop. Then I was finally able to press down on the Bergeon tool with enough pressure to get the caseback to turn to open- turning counterclockwise, of course.

My only other thought would be to take a flat piece of duct tape and press it on the caseback and then put the bergeon tool on that and try to turn it. That way you wouldn't be scratching the caseback and the added stick-um of the duct tape might help. And make sure you can get up on it so you can put some pressure on it.

Ofrei or Jules Borel sell the watch press tool for opening Rolex casebacks- $70-80 as I recall.

I had a hell of a time opening my WM 1680. I finally put it in a movement holder and then clamped the movement holder in the vice in my workshop. Then I was finally able to press down on the Bergeon tool with enough pressure to get the caseback to turn to open- turning counterclockwise, of course.

My only other thought would be to take a flat piece of duct tape and press it on the caseback and then put the bergeon tool on that and try to turn it. That way you wouldn't be scratching the caseback and the added stick-um of the duct tape might help. And make sure you can get up on it so you can put some pressure on it.

Ofrei or Jules Borel sell the watch press tool for opening Rolex casebacks- $70-80 as I recall.

Thanks for all the info guys.. I tried the duct tape on the caseback then the bergeon tool today as well to no avail..

I dont get it. it seems that the for some reason the chucks just wont fit.

the 29.5mm chuck is too big.. weird seeing as how I have 2 rolex reps /1 genuine rolex that opens fine. and the 28.3mm chuck just doesnt fit correctly.hmmmmmmmm

That's the problem with some of the replica casebacks. I have one that's not a good fit either. The tool that L&T pointed out is adjustable, so it might work. Problem is, it's tricky to use and prone to slipping, scratching the caseback in the process. One guy mentioned putting ice in a baggie and holding it on the caseback- the idea being that the cold metal will shrink and then you can open the watch. I tried it but it didn't really work for me.

the tool sucks ass, dont waste your money, i got it today, did nada, the bits dont grab at all

Thanks so much for all the info guys.. appreciate it.

I got the caseback off (well my watchmaker/repairer did with a press thing of some sort) and to my excitement the movement was as expected. ETA 7750 with the running seconds at 9:00 as it is a pre 2000. I know the subdials are spaced really far apart so what now would this movement be good for???

Thanks so much for all the info guys.. appreciate it.

I got the caseback off (well my watchmaker/repairer did with a press thing of some sort) and to my excitement the movement was as expected. ETA 7750 with the running seconds at 9:00 as it is a pre 2000. I know the subdials are spaced really far apart so what now would this movement be good for???

Wouldn't that be a 7753?