When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218-201/A... version 3...

projectologist

This will be my 3rd attempt at putting together a 201/A.

The first was a checkbook build, built and purchased from Brobert almost 3 years ago. He did his usual amazing work with the finish and fitment, especially the V cg (remember the frenzy when those first came out?). Great times and when modding really took off parts-wise.

Found these pics of that first one...

201a06.jpg

201a04.jpg

201a05.jpg

Then I got a little crazy a year and a half later with a gen part out. Used the gen case and cg. FGD dial again (V2 pale yellow and recessed indices that for some reason look raised in some pics). Jakob case back. Dirk strap.

201proj07.jpg

201proj06.jpg

201proj02.jpg

201proj01.jpg

Now I'm collecting parts for my 3rd one and doing a little more of the work on it myself than before. Install a Swiss movement from Ofrei. Smooth dome the CP. Lume app the FGD hands. Fine tune the cg shape (including machining the lever pin and applying the correct brushed finish). This cg is going to be 1:1.

The latest FGD dial is really nice. Hard to see in my pic, but the indices have a nice depth and the yellow color of the lume is slightly darker, more intense than previous versions.

Crown/tube are with member w0lf waiting to be fitted to his latest Pre V group case set project. Xtal TBD. And the new jakob case back that just arrived is as impressive as before, maybe a tad thicker this time, feels a little heavier too plus the engraving is a little more refined. Unlumed FGD hands are in the mail... thanks Matt!

redux01.jpg

• Like 1

Must say the black looks good on the dial mate.... and you can make out the recesses.... and the CG brushwork is very nice, I like the way you have made the finish of the lever contrast with the body.. as per gen

Great work... Look forward to the finished project... should be a stonker

Also keen to see that CP finish :)

Thanks for sharing mate :)

Must say the black looks good on the dial mate.... and you can make out the recesses.... and the CG brushwork is very nice, I like the way you have made the finish of the lever contrast with the body.. as per gen

Great work... Look forward to the finished project... should be a stonker

Also keen to see that CP finish :)

Thanks for sharing mate :)

Thanks! So far I've only attempted brushing the bottom surface of the cg. I haven't figured out yet how I'll be applying the same brushed finish to the curved surfaces, especially the top surface with it's compound curves :g:

Send it over to me and will get it done for you... it is an easy thing to do and it takes exactly 30 sec with the right equipment...

Thanks for the offer!

But a lot of the pleasure for me is figuring out how to get something done. I've learned how to lume and tear down/lube a 6497 and am now learning how to properly refinish an entire case polished and brushed. Wearing watches seems almost secondary to me :)

The great thing about the PreVs is that they were all hand finished so there is no right or wrong mate.. and thats forgetting what might have been done to them after they were bought

I think most of the accepted options/methods you go with will produce the desired effect but leave the lever I think it looks good against your brush work..

The great thing about the PreVs is that they were all hand finished so there is no right or wrong mate.. and thats forgetting what might have been done to them after they were bought

I think most of the accepted options/methods you go with will produce the desired effect but leave the lever I think it looks good against your brush work..

Thanks again. I still have yet to brush the rest of the cg (only the bottom surface has been done). I like your suggestion to leave the lever "as is".

Can't wait to see V3. I am just building one for the first time since my last Pre-A with tritium dial. I am loving that CG for your latest. Best of luck with the brushing.

Considering all of the classic PAM builds you've done, I'm surprised a 201/A wasn't one of them until now. But now is probably the best time ever to do it ;) !

Considering all of the classic PAM builds you've done, I'm surprised a 201/A wasn't one of them until now. But now is probably the best time ever to do it ;) !

Well, I must confess that it isn't an accident I waited this long. I never went beyond the Pre-A because the parts just weren't there to build one that I would actually wear. IMHO, a Jimmy or early Eddie Lee just never cut it for a Pre-V for me. Now the timing has never been better - with the help of friends of course. :)

Great macros Proj :)

But please for the love of God dont tell me you took those with your iPhone !!! ;) ;)

Simons dials are painted rather than lumed...... his new ones are great... deeper recesses and he has a new baking process for top coat which gives a very good finish to the dial plus makes it much harder and resistant to modding processes :)

• 8 months later...