When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheaper rep question

the_rymeister

Hi guys am I correct in saying that the cheaper version reps on the dealer websites,ie the reps with Asian 21j movements and cheap Japanese chronos, are the same watch frames, dials , the same quality as the higher priced reps ie ones with Swiss eta and Asian 7550 chronos? Or are they a completely different quality in watch. The only reasons I ask is that they look very similar between cheap and expensive versions and there is so many reps I wanna purchase! I've got 2 ultimate version omegas on order which I would wear mostly but would also like a few other reps to wear occasionally that maybe look the part but not necessary have to function or keep time as accurately as the good reps.thanks in advance.any info would be much appreciated.

Ry

Hi Ry

i'd say it's a complete question of luck.....i had and have a lot basic reps, some are absolutely great, or were, because i sold them. But i guess it depends on the dealer you go for.

here some pics of some....

and sincerely, unless you hang around with experts, they are great

post-29734-0-46728100-1319405847.jpg

post-29734-0-10371500-1319405870.jpg

post-29734-0-66472400-1319405879.jpg

Cheers guys. I was looking on Timesshop website since I posted earlier and found this explorer 39mm http://www.timesshop.net/6764-ro2972-rolex-explorer-1-black-dial-ss-ss-1-1-copy-noobfactory-asian-2813-21j.html

And is does state its a noobfactory 1:1 rep and uses same case version as their Swiss version. So I'm guessing for this rep it's as good as the Swiss version but without Swiss movement. Just wanna expand my Newley started collection without the large expense. My favourite watches I buy will defo be the best versions I can find as I will wear them more often and want them to last.chears for the pics too buddy

I'm also curious about this, as I scratched my rep Seamaster case while experimenting with it. Would a cheaper Seamaster rep be the same chassis? I could replacement the dials and movements etc.

I'm also thinking the cheaper models would have inferior crystals? Maybe glass or something?

In many cases;) It Is indeed just the movement that makes the difference..but always double check to make sure...Most of the cheeper reps have the mineral crystal..fantastic impact resistance...but the scratch resistance...not so good im afraid...just something to keep in mind.

My first rep was a Omega PO quartz from Andrew...and I have to admit... the quailty was very good..But I wanted the proper sweep of the gen automatic movement......so I gave It to a friend for a partial payment on some tile work he did for me. This was about two and a half years ago...he still has the watch...and he loves it. Says that it's never given him a lick of trouble..still ticking away on the original battery. :)

Just make sure to do the proper research before purchase.

Mike

Usually with cheap reps you will have completely different quality in watch. No sapphire- only synthetic sapphire-visibility is poor etc,

Because of movement sub dial spacing is usually off, date window and date font is usually off.

Surface finishing can be lower quality etc. So you will get what you pay`d. There is few rare exception`s... but usually low price rep= crap and you will probably sell it int the end with bigger or smaller loss. No point to upgrade low end rep`s.

I think at the end if the day, it depends what is importation to you, what flaws you could live with, and how close to the original do you really need it to be? I can understand that folks who're building projects are sourcing individual parts, so might as well be as accurate as possible. When it comes to 'out of the box' watches, I feel that a demand for 1:1 accuracy screams of the intent to pass the watch off as gen (or why else need it to look just like the original? :pardon: ) I have a datejust which is a prime example of a truly Budget Rep. I daren't get the thing wet for fear of it flooding, it probabaly has countless errors which an expert could spot a mile off, not to mention that my choice to wear it on a leather strap, ala Captain Jack Harkness, does nothing but highlight the fact that there are no serial etchings between the lugs.

DSCN4074.jpg

However, whenever I've worn it, I have never been 'called out' or had negative feedback on it, so I guess it is just a matter of personal tastes and requirements in a watch :good::drinks:

I guess it depends on how you are defining 'flaw'... My Tudor Heritage has a quartz movement, but it still tells the time (and more accurately than an automatic movement ;) ) of course, there are other errors in replication which would give it away as a rep way before someone unscrewed the case back :lol: As with the above DateJust though, it has never received negative criticism. Folks on the street simply do not know enough (or care enough) to see if someone's watch is real or not. The only people who would call you out anyway, are just insecure douches out to try and make themselves look big (and just succeeding in making themselves look like a dick instead) so fuck what people like that might say, just buy what you like, enjoy it for what it is, and remember that it should be on your wrist, it is your watch :good::drinks:

I love you style teejay . I have a cheap Asian breitling navitimer world and I really like it. ( the face is quite far from gen) But when I posted it in a thread regarding changing my dial for a first time project , it got absolutly slated!! Lol

I was only looking for some good advise on how to go about changing the dial and what tools I would need to buy.

Like you said " buy what you like ,enjoy it for what it is"

One of my favorite watches is one of my cheepest

The Ulysse nardin maxie marine

The Asain 23j movement keeps excellent time and has over a 40 hr power reserve

Saphire crystal with double AR..and a really nice ss bracelet..also comes In rubber.

I honestly dont know of a better rep for under $200.00.

This Is the one i got.

post-19368-0-49151800-1319652422.jpg

@ Rymeister: Thanks, here's a little more Quartz Magic. Sure, the sub is an abomination to watchmaking, but it was a fun project, makes me smile every time I wear it, and it reminds me not to take things too seriously :)

DSCN4226.jpg

I haven't seen the other thread, but with some watches, the dial/movement combo, swapping them to upgrade the parts, they simply wouldn't be compatible with other dial/movements, as date windows might not always line up, so things like the budget DJ, and maybe your Breitling, probably best to just keep as out of the box, and enjoy for what they are, rather than going down the modification route :) That's not to say that it's not fun to build a project, I just think that as above, it depends what someone's looking for in a watch :good:

@ M: That's one slick piece, bro :good::drinks:

The Noobfactory DSSD, GMT IIc, Sub, Sub LV, Ceramic Sub .. all come in under-$100 versions in a21j ... they are the same watch as the $300 versions but have the cheapest automatic movement instead of the most expensive.

Anyone who says every $80 rep watch is junk doesn't know what they are talking about.

The Noobfactory DSSD, GMT IIc, Sub, Sub LV, Ceramic Sub .. all come in under-$100 versions in a21j ... they are the same watch as the $300 versions but have the cheapest automatic movement instead of the most expensive.

Anyone who says every $80 rep watch is junk doesn't know what they are talking about.

No every but most of them are more or less way off and far from gen like a look, one word- crap. Ok "crap " is not right word but low end is " for friends/gifts and for children" , for collection or as every day beater you will need something more in the end.

And don`t think that above these are all same, only difference is movement. As far as I know all ( ok, 99,9%) lower then 100usd reps will have not real sapphire but some kind of synthetic glass... so first look, and you will see that it is fake-visibility, scratches etc.+ due the movement case has to be different also. Usually because of that dial is also different etc. Minor thing for you if you are new in business... very disturbing when you are in this" fake watch world" some times. At first you will start with low end budget rep`s, you don`t really see difference( and you don`t like to loose money, you don`t know or trust dealers yet) , after some time you like to have more accurate more gen like reps. And usually if you are new in business you don´t really understand why to spend 300+ if you can have that "same" ( at least for you same) watch 100 usd or even with lower price.

But that is( was ) just me.

ps) Of course I am not expert, I know only these rep`s what I own or like and Rolex is not one of them.

My words are not "golden"

Edited by sul

No every but most of them are more or less way off and far from gen like a look, one word- crap. Ok "crap " is not right word but low end is " for friends/gifts and for children" , for collection or as every day beater you will need something more in the end.

Never had a problem with any of the low end reps as beaters... :whistling:

And don`t think that above these are all same, only difference is movement. As far as I know all ( ok, 99,9%) lower then 100usd reps will have not real sapphire but some kind of synthetic glass... so first look, and you will see that it is fake-visibility, scratches etc.+ due the movement case has to be different also. Usually because of that dial is also different etc. Minor thing for you if you are new in business... very disturbing when you are in this" fake watch world" some times. At first you will start with low end budget rep`s, you don`t really see difference( and you don`t like to loose money, you don`t know or trust dealers yet) , after some time you like to have more accurate more gen like reps. And usually if you are new in business you don´t really understand why to spend 300+ if you can have that "same" ( at least for you same) watch 100 usd or even with lower price.

But that is( was ) just me.

ps) Of course I am not expert, I know only these rep`s what I own or like and Rolex is not one of them.

My words are not "golden"

These differences you mention, and I do not deny that there can be some differences, are so trivial and minor, that they need side by side comparison/measuring tools to actually distinguish them. Now, I'm not saying that the DJ I showed over the page could ever be passed as gen to an expert, but I would bet that in a side by side photoshoot with a more expensive rep of the same model, with both on bracelets, the differences between the two watches would not be glaringly obvious. I would say that of course someone would ask if it's a real Rolex, it says Rolex on the dial, and everyone knows that Rolex = Fake, yet no one has ever commented on it... :whistling: I have another budget DJ on the way, which I will be wearing to an 80s theme party, and I'll be sure to report how many people ask me if it's a real Rolex or not. As above, I'm not dismissing the differences with things like the type of glass, etc, but in day to day Real Life (ie not discussion of said differences between collectors who appreciate those differences) do they really matter? Do they really make a low end watch unwearable outside the house? Personally, I think not... Trying to convince Joe Public a rep is the real deal is one thing, Getting the highest end stuff to trick yourself is something else entirely ;):drinks:

Never had a problem with any of the low end reps as beaters... :whistling:

These differences you mention, and I do not deny that there can be some differences, are so trivial and minor, that they need side by side comparison/measuring tools to actually distinguish them. Now, I'm not saying that the DJ I showed over the page could ever be passed as gen to an expert, but I would bet that in a side by side photoshoot with a more expensive rep of the same model, with both on bracelets, the differences between the two watches would not be glaringly obvious. I would say that of course someone would ask if it's a real Rolex, it says Rolex on the dial, and everyone knows that Rolex = Fake, yet no one has ever commented on it... :whistling: I have another budget DJ on the way, which I will be wearing to an 80s theme party, and I'll be sure to report how many people ask me if it's a real Rolex or not. As above, I'm not dismissing the differences with things like the type of glass, etc, but in day to day Real Life (ie not discussion of said differences between collectors who appreciate those differences) do they really matter? Do they really make a low end watch unwearable outsid be the house? Personally, I think not... Trying to convince Joe Public a rep is the real deal is one thing, Getting the highest end stuff to trick yourself is something else entirely ;):drinks:

Yes you are absolutely right, if you are happy with your watch and only that is important, then go for low end, they are not so bad and you will save money :) And if YOU will like it, then all is absolutely right. YOU will be buying and wear it, does not matter what your friend or colleague will think or tell.

Just my own experience, I did also bough at first low end 21j watches and yes they were mostly ok, but today I don`t have non of them any more. Sold all.

In my case, I did like to have something more "realistic" , today I can tell that 100usd cheapo is no go for me any more. Three years ago I did buy them I was happy with them at first. Till I notice some differences, minor( or sometimes not so minor) cosmetic flaw`s, bigger machinery flaw`s etc.

My point is if you will buy one rep or two, it does not matter what you will buy, if you like to have some more or less perfect watches or collect them don`t buy cheap crap, wait, read more forums, collect money and buy a watch what will satisfy you also after year or two :)

BTW my last watch watch what I bought was with quartz :unknw: replica and I love that, it was under 200 usd and.....damn... I will make some review and pic`s.As I mention for me 99.9% low end is crap but few.... and that watch is among these "few" IMHO with real sapphire, ceramic bezel and sweeping sec hand ( rep with sweeping hand quartz !). : ) , but...soon I will tell more with pic`s.

Edited by sul

Yes you are absolutely right, if you are happy with your watch and only that is important, then go for low end, they are not so bad and you will save money :) And if YOU will like it, then all is absolutely right. YOU will be buying and wear it, does not matter what your friend or colleague will think or tell.

Just my own experience, I did also bough at first low end 21j watches and yes they were mostly ok, but today I don`t have non of them any more. Sold all.

In my case, I did like to have something more "realistic" , today I can tell that 100usd cheapo is no go for me any more. Three years ago I did buy them I was happy with them at first. Till I notice some differences, minor( or sometimes not so minor) cosmetic flaw`s, bigger machinery flaw`s etc.

My point is if you will buy one rep or two, it does not matter what you will buy, if you like to have some more or less perfect watches or collect them don`t buy cheap crap, wait, read more forums, collect money and buy a watch what will satisfy you also after year or two :)

BTW my last watch watch what I bought was with quartz :unknw: replica and I love that, it was under 200 usd and.....damn... I will make some review and pic`s.As I mention for me 99.9% low end is crap but few.... and that watch is among these "few" IMHO with real sapphire, ceramic bezel and sweeping sec hand ( rep with sweeping hand quartz !). : ) , but...soon I will tell more with pic`s.

I think it depends on how someone is defining 'cheap crap', and what someone is expecting to get for their money :) My new budget DJ arrived today, and I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied with what I received :) The sweep of the second hand might not be ETA-smooth, it's certainly not as jerky as some A21j sweeps I have seen :) The dial printing is all correctly spelled and evenly printed, although the inner stamping of the leaves of the clasp is the notorious STEBLHOX :lol: The only true flaws are on the crystal. While the cyclops is perfectly alligned over the datewindow, the etched Rolex crown is a few degrees towards the '31' marker rather than directly over the '6' marker, but that is almost invisible, so not really an issue. Also, there is the tiniest nick in the edge of the crystal in line with the '5' marker. Again, almost invisible to the eye, but this issue, I actually like, as it assisted in the artificial aging of the watch and stops it looking pristine :) It's also survived the faucet-dunk test :victory: I'm not sure if the lowest price DJ from a Trusted Dealer would have the same clasp stampings, or correct spelling, but, I certainly would not consider the watch as 'cheap crap'... Budget, certainly, but definitely excellent value for money (IMHO) I would post some pics, but with my computer down, I haven't tried uploading to photobucket from a mobile phone :D I like the sound of your budget watch, I'll look forwards to the review :good::drinks: