When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Valjoux 7734 Whats the going price for a Working Movement

seagoing3

Hi Guys

I'm already planning my next project and have started looking for a Valjoux 7734 for a Tudor MC project and wonder what the going rate was for one of these movements in working condition. I don't want to over pay so felt it best to ask and learn before buying one.

Also most of them I'm seeing are with the 30 min register not the 45 needed for the Tudor to be 100% corect. Not sure i need it to work 100% properly I can't think of the last time I used a chronograph past 5 or 10 min for timing somthing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is one available right now on eBay for a buy it now price of $250.00. Seller says the 4th wheel (seconds hand pinion) needs replacing but is including it for free. Claims it is an unmarked 7734 from a Tudor watch. Since this hasn't been replicated, I would guess it is probably gen, but not from a Tudor. The price is pretty decent though. Have it serviced and you would be good to go.

eBay auction is here

Or there is also this one on eBay for $399.00 that is in a complete watch. Does have the 45 min counter in it which is a nice bonus! Click me

Thanks guys I put in a low buy it now price on the one in the complete watch with the 45 min register and got it so now to order the DW kit and get it built. I assume that is the best case and dial deal out there let me know if there is another one I should be looking at.

Thanks

the DW kit is pretty decent. The bezel is polished which is incorrect, but not to difficult to fix. I just brushed mine with a titanium brushing pad and it came out pretty good IMO. The phong kit is better, but a lot more expensive.

Here's a pic of mine:

bfd18eb8.jpg

And here's the brushed bezel:

9e5fa370.jpg

Note that the DW kit does not come with a bracelet. I got a 7836 bracelet with 380 endlinks from Mary.

Make sure to factor in and get the movement correctly serviced before you put it into use.

I have seen and worked on a number of these, and given the age, the fact they are found in mostly lower end watches, the reality is that the owners didn't bother to have them maintained.

All were very gummed up and dry, and in dire need of attention. Think of it as buying a 1950's car and driving it around with no oil or fluids or lubricants, that's your movement's condition, use it and damage it more.

Thanks Vlydog i picked up a donor watch on eBay and it arrived yerterday here are some picks. i think it is a really good looking watch and feel bad having it sacrifice its heart for the Tudor project. I have been unable to order for DW to get the case set and dial. I have become a bit concerned about his quality after reading one of the latest reviews in the DW section it seems some folks have had some rather big issues with service and quality thread here http://www.rwg.cc/topic/139276-awful-experience-with-dw-7032-pics-inside/

pics of donor

a936a91e.jpg

99eb59e5.jpg

aedb1143.jpg

c21a7475.jpg

she runs and the chronograph works and resets fine. I will have the movement overhauled before building the 7032.

Nice donor. Already complete with the 45min counter which is a bonus. Only thing you need is a black on white date wheel. Getting very hard to find now. There is a seller on the bay from AUS that has some although his price has been going up steadily over the past several months.

If I recall an Omega Flightmaster sweep might be the right length.

Some time ago, I ordered both a Flightmaster and a Chronostop sweep. I'll have to check my notes, but one of them was a very close match to the genuine Tudor sweep's dimensions. Unfortunately, I didn't have any success fitting it onto the 7734. Also, Omega's orange is much more day-glo than the shade Tudor uses, though that's nothing a little paint won't fix.

By the way, have you seen the Phong 7031 bezels that are floating around on eBay now?