When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

making a Porsche Design Diver P6780 dive worthy

ilanB

Hi,

I got my eyes on this watch, seen at Andrews site:

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209&products_id=7890

I want to dive with him instead of my Gen Planet Ocean (I dont feel happy to loose a 3000$ watch in a dive). The watch is water resistent but I can't trust this without good check by a professional.

Any ideas if this can be done? I dont have experience in opening watches and dont want to start with this one.

d`o you think I can ask the dealer to do it? and trust it ?

Thanks,

IlanB

Keep in mind that what I am about to say is only an opinion: don't waste your money on this watch! I know it looks good, I know it has a very attractive case design, an ingenious bezel locking mechanism and things like that. BUT the replication is very bad and the effort put by the factories on this particular Porsche Design was poor to say the best. The strap is the single worst point of the replica with its lose connection to the metallic endlink, but equally important are the imprint on dial (too weak), the painted hour markers (instead of applied metallic markers), the poor finish of the case construction, poor finish of clasp construction, bezel that is locked by the crown when the latter is fully screwed in, crown that has to be fully screwed in otherwise the watch won't close, metallic end links with not enough curvature to properly fit the wrist, wrong datewheel font, misaligned datewheel, incorrect font and misaligned text on case sides, wrong caseback.

I have one of these P'6780. I bought the black dial, received the fantasy grey instead. Dealer accepted to replace, but I decided not to because this watch will remain in the drawer whatever its color.

Just buy a seiko monster. It's a great diving watch. Just tell people you left your Porsche Diver in your Porsche 911 GT3 that you lent to Justin Bieber for the weekend.

How did you know I left him the Porsche ? being a family man it was the Panamera turbo and he didnt want the watch ;-)

Thanks every one, I think I will go the Seiko way

+1

Also are you really comfortable diving with a rubber strap? I know we all have our preferences, but for me I will only dive with watches equipped with flip-lock clasps.

I'm not :-( so I secure it with rubber band. I also want a mechanical watch as I do dive with dive computer but want independant time keeper.