When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Budget reps're all shite...

TeeJay

...or are they... :g:

Okay, y'all've seen the blurry iPics of this DJ I got myself as a 33rd birthday present:

photo-2.jpg

I know that they haven't been the best photos to properly showcase the watch, but, I've got my PC working after over a fortnight, so I've been able to take some better quality pics. As discussed on another thread, out of the box, the watch was too bling for my taste, too shiny, so I used a Scotch-brite pad and a 4-sided nail file to add some age to the watch. I believe this model to be circa mid-80s, so I wanted to make the watch look that old, but not old and abused, as with some of my other vintage projects. This is what I've managed to do with it...

DSCN4428.jpg

DSCN4427.jpg

DSCN4421.jpg

DSCN4433.jpg

DSCN4432.jpg

DSCN4419.jpg

This photo isn't the best, but it shows the sunburst effect of the dial.

DSCN4414.jpg

The watch keeps good time (I haven't bothered to do a definite +/- observation, as it doesn't seem to be gaining or losing time to any observable degree) and has survived multiple showers without a hint of flooding or condensation. Now this watch is no-doubt far from 1:1 accurate, but I'm not familiar enough to the DJ model to identify any flaws in replication. The only glaring ones I am aware of, are that the clasp leaf has the infamous gibberish STEBLHOX font, and the quality of the lume is pretty poor (I will get it re-lumed at some point) but other than that, well, what else is there to say? Oh yes, the watch cost me £37 shipped :victory:

So, are budget reps really just cheap shit...? :whistling:

"Are budget reps all [censored]?" I dont think so. There are some decent reps out there that wont break the bank...nothing wrong with that.

Im far from a Rollie expert T..that being said...If I were to see you wearing this watch..under normal every day life situations and conditions...I would have no reason to believe that It was a rep.

Of course If I were a Rolex enthusiast..or really knew my stuff about that particular model...under close observation...well??:)

I hope you enjoy your new/old ;) DJ for as long as wish to do so.. T

Thanks for sharing bro. :)

Mike

"Are budget reps all shit?" I dont think so. There are some decent reps out there that wont break the bank...nothing wrong with that.

Im far from a Rollie expert T..that being said...If I were to see you wearing this watch..under normal every day life situations and conditions...I would have no reason to believe that It was a rep.

Of course If I were a Rolex enthusiast..or really knew my stuff about that particular model...under close observation...well??:)

I hope you enjoy your new/old ;) DJ for as long as wish to do so.. T

Thanks for sharing bro. :)

Mike

Thanks for the compliment, bro :good::drinks: As you say, an expert could probably spot flaws from across the room, but it totally flies under the radar of Joe Public :lol: Also, I just wanted to put up some pics to show that on budget reps, the print doesn't automatically have to be miss-spelled or blurred. I'm certainly enjoying wearing it, the only time I've taken it off was to swap for my plastic sub while tattooing Monday, so I know it'll get a re-lume before too long :D

Great looking £37 you got there mate! Way prettier than the £'s in my wallet during my last London visit! :tu:

Thanks, I certainly can't complain :):drinks:

Most of the time, i would say yes the really cheap ones are [censored], but once in a while you can pick up a great bargain (new from a dealer). Only the anal retentives would call you out and most people wouldn't know/care.

The price of the higher end reps though, are way overpriced, when you think of the margins being made by the trusted dealers

Most of the time, i would say yes the really cheap ones are [censored], but once in a while you can pick up a great bargain (new from a dealer). Only the anal retentives would call you out and most people wouldn't know/care.

The price of the higher end reps though, are way overpriced, when you think of the margins being made by the trusted dealers

There is a tier below the Budget Reps available from site like CQout, ie the street market fantasy miss-spelled stuff, and that stuff really is most likely of the worst quality. I guess I just find it frustrating that people only ever discuss Trusted Dealers as if they are the only source for anything anywhere, when there are other options available, and I suspect that some of the stuff available on CQout is the same stuff the Trusted Dealers are putting out in the $80 range :) I haven't yet gone for a more expensive CQout purchase (partly because of financial restriction, but mostly out of being a cheap ass and not wanting to spend the $$s :lol: ) but I might do so eventually, just so I can review the product for folks and maybe shed some light onto the less discussed sources :) I just don't want to wind up ordering stuff which will conflict with my existing project plans :bangin:

I also buy cheap reps from CQout, mainly for fun and selling onto others, but never buy the high end stuff from there.

Lvmonia sells utter turd, but eshopping88 is ok quality....but not 100% accurate with his pics.

One bargain that I recently bought was a GMT Master 1675 with jubilee bracelet. Only £45. Probably way off in terms of accuracy to the hawk-eyed experts, but at a 'longer than quick' glance, it looks close enough to me.

I also buy cheap reps from CQout, mainly for fun and selling onto others, but never buy the high end stuff from there.

Lvmonia sells utter turd, but eshopping88 is ok quality....but not 100% accurate with his pics.

One bargain that I recently bought was a GMT Master 1675 with jubilee bracelet. Only £45. Probably way off in terms of accuracy to the hawk-eyed experts, but at a 'longer than quick' glance, it looks close enough to me.

I've always stayed clear of Lvmonia too, their shipping costs have always put me off :lol: eshopping88 is who I normally go to for my purchases, but as I wanted specific models for my DJ's, I had to go to another seller, I believe their name was east-artwork. I might go back to them for a white-dialled DJ, but ideally, there's another one I've seen on another site (since shut down) which is only labeled as a Rolex Date, I guess it depends if I can source that specific watch, or it'll be the white CQout DJ :D

As you say, they look good as long as one isn't being too anal on the specifics :tu: