When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement Insert For Rolex GMT Master 6542 Perspex/Bakelite

JoeyB

I don't think I would recommend it on a genuine 1675. It will fit the bezel, but it is flat bottomed and might need the area where the crystal mounts to be taken down a bit. The bezel might need to be deepened too. A dremel tool does that easily. That is what freddy333 and I did on the Silix case and bezel. It measures 1.3 +- mm thick.

These are made just as the original perspex/acrylic/bakelite insert were made. I think they look best when 'fitted' to the watch/bezel. things have a way of not staying the same after 55 years! It is fairly easy to shape the insert. I mount the insert in the bezel off the watch. I use 400 grit sandpaper to get the shape I want and blend it into the bezel. Then I use 1500 sandpaper to lightly smooth out the scratches from the 400 paper. The insert is still cloudy/foggy from the sandpaper. The final step is to polish it. I use Brasso and a terry cloth. A little Brasso, polished by hand makes the acrylic crystal clear with a very high shine. Cloth in one hand, insert mounted in the bezel in the other, and about 15 seconds of polishing, check it, polish and check, etc. If there were any light scratches left by sanding, the polishing will remove them. Brasso will take light scratches out of acrylic watch crystals too, making them look like new. And no, I don't work for Brasso, but 38 years in the military accumulated lots of opened cans of the stuff all over the place. Got a use for it now!

You can do it, it's your watch, but don't. I would think that modding a gen case/bezel would ruin the value of your watch.

You can do it, it's your watch, but don't. I would think that modding a gen case/bezel would ruin the value of your watch.

Thank you for the detailed post!

Yeah, if I have to mod a gen part I won't do it and yes, it would definitely kill the market value.

Thinking about buying a couple after market bezel assembly though. I may run into the issue with the crystal and insert fitting but I'm sure nothin a bit of sanding will fix.

I'll look more into the idea but I've always wanted a bakelite bezel! Thank you for making such an affordable opportunity to own one. The NDT bezel inserts are just too spendy.

• 2 months later...
Guest accio

hi, i have this piece

whUkL.jpg

its come from Donerix

it has Case from a 6536,dial from a 1675

Clarks plastic crystal and now a Genuine Rolex bezel insert.

I like very much your insert perspex bakelite

tHey are be good for this watch? because I do not know the exact measurements

hi, i have this piece

its come from Donerix

http://www.rwg.cc/to...ex-pan-am-6542/

it has Case from a 6536,dial from a 1675

Clarks plastic crystal and now a Genuine Rolex bezel insert.

I like very much your insert perspex bakelite

tHey are be good for this watch? because I do not know the exact measurements

It will fit. However, and someone may correct me on this, but if a 6542 was sent in for service and received the 'new' dial and larger 4th hand, the perspex insert would have been replaced too with the gen you already have. I believe your watch to be accurate to a 6542 that was factory serviced.

If Rolex did service a 1675, they would almost certainly require the perspex insert & bezel to be changed to modern replacements. However, because the movements are different, a 6542 dial will not fit the 1675 (which is the type of dial in accio's watch). The hour/minute/seconds hands are interchangeable, but I am not sure about the 24-hour (gmt) hands?

• 1 year later...

I know I posted this in another thread tonight but it deserves 2 posts!

I just received my insert from Joey B and it is STUNNING!

I was a bit worried that it would not match or fit due to "other" guys inserts. WOW it matches better than I could have hoped and actually "snapped" into the bezel!!!!

This is a special watch to me, is an extreamly early serial number and has an amazing provonence. I have to travel next week but will post pictures and a bit on the history when I return.

I have a nice collection of watches that at times need parts made by hand by very experianced watch makers because they no longer exist, if I could be as happy with 10% as the other .watch parts I have ma,de my collecting life would be MUCH easier!

Hats off to Joey B

Farel

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2016年1月31日 at 0:57 AM, JoeyB said:

Sorry for late reply joeyB! How about the difference link? I don't understand that  I saw one set is 175usd the other set 375usd. Do the both sets are available? I can choic any one?

• 1 month later...