When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT II and GMT IIc

Monito1975

So I´m getting a GMT IIc ultimare version Swiss ETA 2836, I was wondering what are the most recomended modifications for this watch?

Please send pics.

I´m also thinking on getting a coke bezel GMT II retro from Josh, some say, and I almost believe it too, that this is the best version today any opinions on this? I have a Gen GMT II glass with AR cyclops, and new Gen Bezel insert this one would go to Domi for superluminova any other modification I need to know about this model?

Best Regards

Don´t think I have not made my homework, ByThor´s reviews are good and i also was reading Elprimozen review on the GMT II but a lot of the pictures are missing this reviews are 4 years old and i was also wondering if Josh still has this amazing GMT II retro model with the lugholes.

freddy covered the GMT IIc. Mine is the incorrect hand stack, but about all it needs is the genuine crystal for the A/R on the cyclops. But mine does go through the TSA metal detector without setting it off just as a genuine can.

The Coke Retro 16710 from Josh is the 1st good rep I bought and still my favorite by an eyelash over the 6542. Drill the lug holes, a little crown guard work, a genuine crown/tube, a Clark's crystal without the etched crown and Clark's insert are what I did. The genuine 16710 did not have A/R.

Two excellent choices, by my taste!

GMTII.jpg

freddy covered the GMT IIc. Mine is the incorrect hand stack, but about all it needs is the genuine crystal for the A/R on the cyclops. But mine does go through the TSA metal detector without setting it off just as a genuine can.

The Coke Retro 16710 from Josh is the 1st good rep I bought and still my favorite by an eyelash over the 6542. Drill the lug holes, a little crown guard work, a genuine crown/tube, a Clark's crystal without the etched crown and Clark's insert are what I did. The genuine 16710 did not have A/R.

Two excellent choices, by my taste!

GMTII.jpg

I think that the fact of the watch going thru the metal detector and not setting it off, is not a quality of Rolex watches but the metal composition itself. I have a MBW and a PO which they do not set the alarm off.

my two cents

Freddy did you painted you Bezel it looks great, I got one from sneed and he painted the bezel with platinium paint, i was holding the original yesterday and they look pretty similar, the xtal is a must I agree. Great watches by the way!!

I think that the fact of the watch going thru the metal detector and not setting it off, is not a quality of Rolex watches but the metal composition itself. I have a MBW and a PO which they do not set the alarm off.

my two cents

I completely agree. I was surprised when first told this by a deputy sheriff in Cook County at the court house. I had mine off and in the tray already, but he said the genuine go through but not the reps. He was wearing a rep. So I chanced it last February at LAX after getting the same story from a TSA guy. I was impressed!

Not to doubt anyone's credibility here, but that makes no sense.

The 316 grade steel used to make cases for today's better reps is essentially the same steel that Rolex used until the 90s when they switched to medical grade 904L (chromium and nickel content was raised and copper added to the mix to reduce the pitting (due in part to the acids in skin) as is often seen on vintage cases). I find it difficult to believe that the metal detectors at LAX would be set (or able) to differentiate between the 2 types of steel, let alone why?

There must be something else going on there.