When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Almost 2 years later it's back, 111 now 1C franken

projectologist

This one started out almost 2 years ago as a stripped down JF mid-case (no bezel, no case back or crown tube).

Shortly after acquiring it I was asked if I was interested in a gen 111e part-out. Well duh... I ended up with the movement, case back, dial and hands. I found a gen CG from another part out (a gen I series 005 which fortunately worked perfectly with the solid-state T48 I had). I needed a crown tube and member MP5 happened to have a spare gen smile1.gif

Not only the crown tube, but he also had a gen bezel and an nice EL crystal to go with it.

So once completed, I wore the watch for about 6 months. Then I sold it, and it was parted out again. I believe the movement went into a franken Fiddy and the case back I recently saw posted at viapaneristi.com. The EL xtal was replaced with an OEM xtal from a 000 J. The gen dial and hands stayed and got hooked up to a ST-36.

I have the opportunity to have it back again, MP5 was cool with me checking it out first (THANKS D, much appreciated!!!). Feels good to have it back. It's showing a little more love, but this is one of those watches you want to wear a lot smile1.gif I'll probably leave the CG on there for now, not sure I want to bother looking for the correct one at the moment.

Here are some pics taken right after the part out 2 years ago.

Dial, hands, movement and case back...

proj2010e.jpg

proj2010f.jpg

proj2010c.jpg

still needed a crown tube, bezel and xtal...

proj2010b-1.jpg

done... and the first watch pics I took with a cell phone (3G) 2 years ago...

picapp05.jpg

picapp04.jpg

proj111c01.jpg

Now... 2 years later smile1.gif

1cfu04.jpg

with a solid case back a gen movement seems a little extravagant...

1cfu03.jpg

L SWISS L ... my favorite

1cfu01.jpg

On my "go to" ammo strap... 4G and Camera+ this time

1Cstrap01.jpg

I dont know what the process was for the lume on the C-D series but is really my favourite type and its has never been replicated . You are very lucky and your watch looks awesome , what did you do with the movement though?

Yeah, what is it about the lume? I compared it yesterday with the sausage lume on a gen L series 005 and 5's lume had an almost plastic look to it.

My dial's lume (and I've seen the same with other L SWISS L dials) has a fine textured look to it, almost like it was applied by hand.

I believe that the movement ended up going into a franken Fiddy project.

Yeah, what is it about the lume? I compared it yesterday with the sausage lume on a gen L series 005 and 5's lume had an almost plastic look to it.

My dial's lume (and I've seen the same with other L SWISS L dials) has a fine textured look to it, almost like it was applied by hand.

I believe that the movement ended up going into a franken Fiddy project.

Yeah its very different but few people tend to mention it as PreV/A seem to get precedence around here. I reckon the L SWISS L are the best dials. They are almost flush with the dial and look to be very much an integrated part to it ,rather than the obviously applied Sausage type of the E series onwards especially the 000 & 005.

Here is C series 055

10H014_03.jpg

10H014_04.jpg

Who knows maybe one day we will see a good L SWISS L , but i doubt it will ever be a nice as your gen

Yeah its very different but few people tend to mention it as PreV/A seem to get precedence around here. I reckon the L SWISS L are the best dials. They are almost flush with the dial and look to be very much an integrated part to it ,rather than the obviously applied Sausage type of the E series onwards especially the 000 & 005.

Who knows maybe one day we will see a good L SWISS L , but i doubt it will ever be a nice as your gen

The early stuff gets all the press due to the rarity and the use of tritium. I too had noticed the differences in earlier lume dials but never got that excited because the whole process on the non-sandwich dials is silk screening so the result is from machine settings and lume mix. Click a setting (i.e. adjust the spray pressure, material content (bonding agent) and quantity) and you can vary the thickness or height as you want. Back to the point at hand, gorgeous watch.