When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona - Rebirth of a Legend

danielv2000

OKay, as I mentionned earlier this week, I was fortunate enough to pick up a Super Franken Vintage Daytona from a terrific fellow member who was extremely patient with me in answering all my questions and request for pictures, pictures and more pictures!

Since I already had the exact version of the watch built by Spinmaster, I thought I would a quick comparative photo shoot of the 2 before I list it for sale. I know many have done these and they have been extremely useful to me but let me consider this as my contribution for all the newbies out there with my own personal reflection on the watches. My new Franken will always be first. Spinmaster version has the red DAYTONA on the dial.

Here are the specs of my Franken:

- J&W 6265 case with custom engravings (ca. 1974 serial matching the dial)

- Serviced Valjoux 726 movement (correct base caliber Rolex used for their 727 - with correct 21600 bph)

- CousinsUK pushers (supposedly the same Rolex currently uses at service)

- Genuine 703 crown and tube NOS

- Genuine MKII 6265 bezel NOS

- Genuine black rare "step-down" Sigma dial

- Genuine handset NOS

- Genuine Tropic 21 service crystal

- Genuine 78350 bracelet with genuine 571 endlinks

First up is front view of both watches. The first thing that struck me is how cripser everything is on the gen dial. The finishing is really nich and smooth - obiously, at higher magnification, you tend to see every little flaw in both watches. Overall, the DW holds up extremely well compared to a gen dial.

img4835y.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img4836xf.jpg

Bezel

The engravings on the gen bezel appear slightly lighter and more delicate than the stock DW. I also notice the detail in some of the numbers are different - the usual tells with the 2's and 3's. Again, I impressed with the stock DW.

gendialc.jpg

dwdial.jpg

Dial

As I mentionner earlier, the dial makes a huge difference. My stock DW dial was not vintagized and I always found it too clean and crisp looking. I always like the effect of the subdials but after seeing it next to a gen dial, it appears overly exagerated. Some numbers are slightly off in their shape and some are positions in the inner circle of the subdials. Small details, but if you're into them, they are important.

Overall, impressed with the DW crown. I really think the one on this watch is identical (experts, please chime in) to the crown on the gen dial.

gendial2.jpg

dwdial2.jpg

Case / Crown

I am no expert here so I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Please remember that my Spinmaster has a gen crown and crystal. Also, the stock DW pushers are brushed and the Cousins on the phong case are polished. Which is right?

img4839u.jpg

img4840c.jpg

Bracelet / Clasp

We are all familiar with this. A gen bracelet makes a huge difference. I was expecting a visual difference - people always comment on the "whiteness" of the gen. Looks the same to me. Feels very different. It's smooth as silk. Also, the markings on the gen are crisp as you can see.

braceletgen.jpg

braceletdw.jpg

The clasp. Enough said.

genclasp.jpg

dwclasp.jpg

SEL fit

Another complaint with the DW stock bracelet is the end link fit and I can certainly attest to that. Compared with the gen bracelet on the phong case, it looks like I have a mismatched end-link. While I would ghave hesitated in the past to say this, a gen bracelet is a worthwhile investment.

selfitphong.jpg

seldw.jpg

Well, that's pretty much it. As i said, I am extremely pleased with my new acquisition. I debated long and hard about putting that kind of cash in a franken. When I look at the pictures today, I am extremely satisfied but at the same time, amazed at the quality of the reps out there. The big difference for me has always been the dial. The dial is the most important part of the watch. With that said, I can never be truely happy with anything other than a gen dial in there.

Everything else is just gravy on top! As I said, I will be listing the Spinmaster Daytona shortly along with the other watches I already listed earlier today.

Thanks

Congratulations again, Daniel, and great comparison shots! That dial alone is a real jewel, but the whole watch was put together with a lot of thought and care. I really don't think you could do much better, short of buying a gen.

Regarding DW's dials, his final batch was a case of one step forward, two steps back. The coronet is an improvement over previous efforts, and I bet it looks even better on the wrist than in macros (which show that the definition of the tines and sharpness of the pearls have some way to go). However, DW's dial supplier dropped the ball on the subdials: The concentric circles reach all the way to the outer edge, while the conical "dishing" in the center has been replaced with a flat plateau. Nitpicking, maybe, but I think it looks weird from some ways off. Check out a couple of DW's 7750 dials from two years ago. Even the one with crap printing gets the registers right:

i-XfLjgxd-X3.jpgi-pGhVSGs-X3.jpgi-HnDdPfQ-X3.jpg

The 6239 dial is the newest of the three. Pretty nice, except for the pronounced ring in the subdials, and some tatty hour markers. If you check out some of the older DW/V72 builds, you'll see even more variations in dial quality.

Congratulations again, Daniel, and great comparison shots! That dial alone is a real jewel, but the whole watch was put together with a lot of thought and care. I really don't think you could do much better, short of buying a gen.

Regarding DW's dials, his final batch was a case of one step forward, two steps back. The coronet is an improvement over previous efforts, and I bet it looks even better on the wrist than in macros (which show that the definition of the tines and sharpness of the pearls have some way to go). However, DW's dial supplier dropped the ball on the subdials: The concentric circles reach all the way to the outer edge, while the conical "dishing" in the center has been replaced with a flat plateau. Nitpicking, maybe, but I think it looks weird from some ways off. Check out a couple of DW's 7750 dials from two years ago. Even the one with crap printing gets the registers right:

i-XfLjgxd-X3.jpgi-pGhVSGs-X3.jpgi-HnDdPfQ-X3.jpg

The 6239 dial is the newest of the three. Pretty nice, except for the pronounced ring in the subdials, and some tatty hour markers. If you check out some of the older DW/V72 builds, you'll see even more variations in dial quality.

I agree, when you look real close, you see every flaw. I still don't understand how they can keep getting these things wrong. Every improvement is matched by a step backwards.

I never imagined myself to be this nit picky but the madness had now consumed me!

First of all congrats on obtaining such an incredible piece. That franken is just outstanding. AS LHOOQ said, I don't think it is possible to do much better.

Second, great comparo. Thanks for putting it together and sharing with us. Very informative for those looking to strive higher with their builds. Very easy to see what can be obtained.

Cheers

First of all congrats on obtaining such an incredible piece. That franken is just outstanding. AS LHOOQ said, I don't think it is possible to do much better.

For me, the benchmark Daytona was Ubi's (now chieftang's) incredible 6265, with its pristine "Big Red" service dial. But wiesn089 really went whole-hog on his build, and scored several major coups with that sigma dial and the gen bezels. I was staggered by his commitment to get everything absolutely right, and, frankly, shocked to learn that he was letting it go.

Daniel: If I ever meet you at a GTG, I will be driving a windowless van and clutching a chloroform-soaked rag... :)

For me, the benchmark Daytona was Ubi's (now chieftang's) incredible 6265, with its pristine "Big Red" service dial. But wiesn089 really went whole-hog on his build, and scored several major coups with that sigma dial and the gen bezels. I was staggered by his commitment to get everything absolutely right, and, frankly, shocked to learn that he was letting it go.

Daniel: If I ever meet you at a GTG, I will be driving a windowless van and clutching a chloroform-soaked rag... :)

Yes, that silver dial is something else!

And btw, I stay away from those types of vans! I zip through the city streets on my Vespa!

Second, great comparo. Thanks for putting it together and sharing with us. Very informative for those looking to strive higher with their builds. Very easy to see what can be obtained.

Cheers

I haven't taken off the watch since I got it. It is truly stunning and the dial shows it's age which I absolutely love.

As for the write-up, glad to take a bit of time and do it. As I mentioned earlier, it's a little bit of give-back to such an extraordinary community.