When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

watch matching shoes etc.

andcaneron

I have a question for everyone. Does my watch band have to match my shoes and belt for casual and formal occasions? For example, if I have a Breitling with a brown strap can I wear it with a dark blue suit and black shoes, or do I have to wear only a watch with a black strap or bracelet with this outfit?

this is a tough one...probably brown strap is best with jeans

or as Nanug would put it "First things first: If you feel no shame in wearing a Panerai (read Breitling) in public, then you certainly have large enough testicles to wear a brown strap with a black suit. ..."

I wear a PAM 005 with black strap daily. Black goes with everything. I do want a brown strap however. I wear suits a lot for work so I don´t know if brown straps are acceptable are far as dress codes go. My suits are black, dark blue, and grey. I only wear brown shoes with the grey suit. So, do watch bands HAVE to match your shoe and belt color??? What about formal occasions where I have to wear a tux?

• 3 weeks later...

"dark blue suit and black shoes"

Maybe I'm off but I'm somehow not able to wear a dark blue suit with black shoes.

As for matching the watchband with your shoes: yes I would match my watchband with the shoes or overall clothes that I'm wearing.

But possibly I'm taking the matching thing a bit too far because I also don't wear a black faced watch when I wear dark blue suit/ blue shirt/ sweater or white or brown shoes.

Just a small note: wearing a black faced watch with blue denim is not uncommon for me because I'll match the watch with my shirt, sweater, shoes, belt and so on.

Btw maybe my post sounds judgemental but it wasn't ment like that. I was just stating what I'm comfortable with and if you are comfortable with combining black, brown and blue all together that's all good. If it works for you it works.

Edited by jn1975

After having read some of your posts I looked up color matching on the internet. I was taught that classic blue suits require black shoes. Acccording to the fashion sites this is true in London and on Wall Street but newer tendencies match brown shoes with blue for a more casual look. I actually found some of the fashion rules to be complicated. One site seemed to match every color shoe with every color suit. See below. At present I only wear brown shoes with grey suits but that might change. I never thought about the watch dial, only the strap. I would wear a black dial watch with any color suit. In some cities like Milan, London, New York etc. people really notice what you wear. I do not want to look outdated. I am not trying to be on the cover of GQ either!

SHOES & TROUSER COLOUR GUIDE

Trouser/suit color Shoe color Black black, tan or camel (a more risqué choice), oxblood Gray black, oxblood, camel Brown any shade of brown, black, camel Navy black, camel, tan, oxblood Earth tones any shade of brown, camel, black

• 2 weeks later...

"dark blue suit and black shoes"

Maybe I'm off but I'm somehow not able to wear a dark blue suit with black shoes.

+1 :)

Navy suit - cordovan (burgundy) shoes + belt.

Light grey suit: - walnut shoes

Tan suit: - walnut or chili shoes

black suit. Black shoes.

Simple!

I always try to match the watch strap to my shoes and belt - it pulls things together nicely. If I can't match it up, I'll wear a watch with a stainless bracelet.

Chicks dig it.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pam 390. Brown dial, brown strap. Now im browsning around for brown shoes and belts. I like my shoes/belt to match the color of the strap. And only brown shoes to blue jeans or grey/blue suits.

I fi wear sneakers/jeans the brown strap is stunning. White sneaker that is ;)