When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swatch Article from todays NY Times

xxl17

This is actually old news. They have been trying to get out of supplying ebauches (actually money losing venture) and parts to competitors for 3-4 years. The initial request to the Swiss authorities was made in 2007 or so and they were given a 4-5 year ramp down schedule so now it is 2011-2012, All of the better watch companies which were ETA based have been developing in-house movements (Panerai, Breitling, Hublot, etc.). The lower end companies will move to Chinese or other Asian country movements. The slow down in supplying movements and parts has already spawned at least one new Swiss manufacturer and numerous Chinese movement companies making better movements. We are already seeing more reliable tourbillons and micro rotor movements coming out of China. At some point Switzerland will wake up and be out innovated.

There are several Swiss manufacturers. ETA wasn't the only movement manufacture. They were just the most widely known. I am sure Sellita will pick up a lot of business once this ruling goes into affect.

Edited by PhilFree

The "Swiss Made" designation dosent mean what it use to....hasnt for a long time now.

Take a watch that was entirley made In China for example....slap a cheep G10 quartz movement In it...there you have It. Swiss made timepiece for under $200.00.

Would this be a better watch than say a Seiko with one of It's fine automatices made In Japan?

Just some food for thought..

I know this might be a little off topic..but the game has changed.

Mike

I happen to think, this will force a lot of companies to start designing their own movements. Who really wants to pay several thousand dollars for a watch with an ETA movement. Those companies who don't invest in R&D will go the way of the dinosaur.

As far as I am concerned, Sellita 2824 (SW 200) are just Swiss made Eta look-alikes although probably quite a bit better than the rash of Asian 'etas' being produced at this time. What is needed in the industry is innovation and a choice of movements that do not look exactly like 90% of Swiss movements.

If I want an Eta, I want an Eta, not a look-alike that Eta parts might not fit.

What Sellita is probably crying about is the Swatch/Eta plan to limit or stop furnishing parts kits aka ebauches because Sellita assembles a lot of movements from kits with specific modifications for various brands. At this time Sellita probably can not make enough movements and parts kits of their own to fill all the orders.

Sellita also makes a 2892 look-alike (SW 300) and 7750 look-alike (SW 500).

Imho, one of the best new movements is the Citizen 9015 but since it is not Swiss Made, it will not show up in 'Swiss' watches...although the China made Seagull ST16 aka 'Claro Semag' claims to be 'Swiss Made' by making a trip to the Alps for a few quickie tweeks.

Citizen 9015

ligne size: 11-1/2

thickness: 3.9mm

functions: 3 hands with date

beat rate: 28,800 bph

jewel count: 24

power reserve: 42 hours

automatic and hand winding

quick set date

stop seconds device (hack)

automatically winds in one direction (CW) viewed from the back side

Citizen 9100 (base 9015)

ligne size: 13-1/2

5.52mm thick

jewel count: 26

functions: time, day, date, month, synchronized 24 hour hand, power reserve indication.

stop seconds device (hack)

This is actually old news. They have been trying to get out of supplying ebauches (actually money losing venture) and parts to competitors for 3-4 years. The initial request to the Swiss authorities was made in 2007 or so and they were given a 4-5 year ramp down schedule so now it is 2011-2012, All of the better watch companies which were ETA based have been developing in-house movements (Panerai, Breitling, Hublot, etc.). The lower end companies will move to Chinese or other Asian country movements. The slow down in supplying movements and parts has already spawned at least one new Swiss manufacturer and numerous Chinese movement companies making better movements. We are already seeing more reliable tourbillons and micro rotor movements coming out of China. At some point Switzerland will wake up and be out innovated.

My thoughts exactly. The gap in the market will be filled likely chinese manufacturers....they have been making copies of eta movemments for years now and were the 'test' market :) I would not be surprised one day to find a swiss branded watch with A7750 in it!