When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP GMT "Great White"

atomic_doug

Here's my completed rep-turned-Frankenstein of one of my favorite Omegas, reference 2538.20 Seamaster 300M GMT, a.k.a. the Great White.

The repro case is actually quite nice and quite close to gen, though the dial and handset are pretty bad in comparison to gen. The gen hands, in particular have a domed-black lacquer at the edges. The whole piece has great wrist-presence without being too ostentatious; always a risk with a gleaming white dial.

It started over a year ago as a basic OTB rep, when I found the gen dial and handset available on Ofrei. So I got those. Then I bought an ETA 2893 to ft it...and a gen crown...and a gen bracelet. A little bit of casework got the case up to snuff and nicely brushed. It's been pressure tested it to 100m and got the crystal AR'd colorless.

It's as accurate as anything else with an ETA2893, but it doesn't have the Rolex GMT-style functionality, since that is an exclusive-to-Omega modification of the 2893, so the GMT hand is slaved to the hour hand and not the other way around. I can live with that.

Sorry for the miserable pictures.

img3373f.jpg

img3374p.jpg

img3375ib.jpg

img3378m.jpg

Thanks. Once the dial and hands were on there, it's pretty much indistinguishable from gen. One of my colleagues has one. They weigh the same. My bracelet's gen, so that goes a long way to getting that gen feel.

All told I have no more than $500US in it. The only thing that was really expensive was the movement itself. Once I decided to keep it, sourcing a 2893 became a bit of a cash sink. Everything else, including the base watch, was cheap. Omega parts are not expensive. I did the work myself, too, so I saved there as well.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Edited by atomic_doug

It started as a basic black-dialled GMT from Silix. Around 60 dollars or so. I did a fair bit of shaping and filing to get the shape and finish right. The crown, at least, should look nice, it's gen. ;) I did grind the bottom of it down a little bit to get it to sit right, however. Otherwise, it stuck out too far.