When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sea Dweller - lose rotor screw

danielv2000

I have a lose rotor screw that no matter how tight I screw, keeps coming lose. I think it's because I can't get it tight enough as the top of the screw is almost flat and my screwdriver can barely squeeze in there.

Anyone know where I can dig one up? I've been to a couple of watch smiths but they can't seem to find any around!

Thanks

This has happened so often to me, that I have made a habit of loc titeing everything, checking movement hold screws, loc tite rotor screw hand loosing that silly cap over the rotor screw (on several rolex clones) or it will eventually fall off. also loc tite your bracelet screws and grease up any gaskets before having your local pressure test the watch. That is now standard procedure after loosing half a dozen watches to water, movement failure and the whole damn thing simply falling apart.

The rotor screw in my DSSD I busted and had to superglue a small rod to the screw head - secure the screw in loc tite (careful not to put it in the bearings) and brake the rod loose after a couple of hours. This might not be the watch makers procedure but it worked for me and the rotor is still secure after two years of daily beating.

Loc tite is your friend ;)

I hope you get it fixed

T

Are you saying the slot is too narrow or not deep enough? If "too narrow" then you need to file/stone a screwdriver to the proper thickness to fit the slot. If too shallow then the Loc-Tite will work in a pinch...

Thanks guys. This morning, I put it back on, wound it up and by the time I had put the caseback on, it was loose again!

J, I meant not deep enough. I can't get a good enough grip because it's so shallow. I will pick up some blue loctite in the morning and hopefully it works.

If not, I'll have to send it out!

I finally had the chance to locktite the screw in place a couple of days ago. Today, I opened it up and the screw is holding nicely however, when I wear the watch, the rotor seems to spinning with the movement of my wrist.

If i shake my wrist back and forth, I hear the rotor swinging back and forth...

ANy ideas>

Nope it's swiss. It wasn't like this before. A while back, it stopped working. I had Katt look at it and he discovered a broken screw in the movement that prevented it from working.

He sent it back to me and it worked fine for a day or 2 until the rotor screw issue. That seems to be fixed but that thing is bouncing around in there even as I type, I can here back and forth. If my hand is motionless, i don't hear a sound.

Thanks for your help!!! Much appreciated.

The little ball-bearing assembly in the rotor might do with a bit of lube...

That is, unless you really don't have the screw tight enough and the rotor is rubbing on something.