When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Omega Seamaster 2531.80 and WBKs $110 Rep

KMAC

This is not a comparison from a super rep or a 1:1 rep, but a comparison that I wanted for a while of a $110 WBK Bond and the GEN. First let me say that it is a great buy and a great rep, but not a super/ultimate rep. From my experiences you will find a lot of people won't know what omega is let alone tell the difference in crown guards from your wrist.

Before I get in to the comparisons I recently found two NOS pre-1997 2531.80's. Before 1997 Omega didn't use super-luminova so there is patina on the lume and some collectors prefer the proper aging look.

I am not a photographer disclaimer.

In all the pictures I will try and point out GEN and REP, but the GENs will be on no bracelet or on the zulu strap and the REP will have one side of the bracelet free, but be on the bracelet.

First pic is the intro GEN pic for reference

DSC_0564.jpg

Side by Side the GEN on top, you notice the He valve and crown are larger on the REP. Later you will see the overall case is larger also on the REP. He Valve on the REP is slightly above the 50 marker as the GEN, but not far enough and with the larger He Valve it is less noticeable as being above the 50 marker. There will be better pictures to show this position. Also the Crown guards are a little sharper, but are more pronounced with the larger crown on the REP.

DSC_0511.jpg

In this picture you can see He an Crown of the Rep and larger bezel pearl

DSC_0611.jpg

On the GEN the crown guards are smaller and more rounded. The crown is smaller and fits better in the guard, then with the REP. The bezel pearl is inset and flush

DSC_0616.jpg

Same as previous from a different angle

DSC_0610.jpg

GEN on the left you can see the smaller overall case thickness and the higher He Valve then the Rep

DSC_0607.jpg

GEN right, the REP has a LARGE crown and really over powers the side of the guards. The thickness difference is also shown here.

DSC_0517.jpg

another of case thickness and valve size

DSC_0518.jpg

Pearl and He Valve shown here

DSC_0520.jpg

Case back the GEN is just better finished and smoother. It is deeper, but the big difference is the edges just feel better finished

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

GEN Bracelet has blue film still on it (NOS) the GEN Markings are bigger and deeper, but big difference is the smoothness of the finish. Very refined.

DSC_0528.jpg

GEN closest to the camera. The REP just gets sticky with kinks, the GEN is like butter. REP missing some number markings on the end links and by the under clasp area.

DSC_0530.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

The REP has a very nice dial, but does not have the depth to the waves the GEN does

DSC_0535.jpg

GEN different angles and different lighting changes the dial

DSC_0561.jpg

GEN different angle

DSC_0562.jpg

REP Crown and Crown guard

DSC_0594.jpg

GEN Crown and Crown guard

DSC_0593.jpg

case height

DSC_0592.jpg

Rep dial

DSC_0575.jpg

Rep dial

DSC_0574.jpg

Gen WAVES

DSC_0570.jpg

Bezel

Similar colors, slightly darker on the REP. The Pearl needs to have a good mod.

Crown/Crown Guards

Crown is larger on the REP and crown guards a bit sharper (read less rounded edges)

He Valve

Rep has it just above the 50, but not far enough and with the larger He valve on the Rep it makes it look closer to the 50

Dial

The rep dial is good, lume isn't very good and is standard rep lume, but it looks the part in the day. The Rep dial doesn't have the depth of the waves.

Hands

The hands are smaller on the Rep, but not bad

Date font

It is a 21J movement so date font is off. Also as with most 21J movements the date set is not as crisp as it is with the swiss movements

Bracelet and Clasp

End link is missing the numbers on the underside. The bracelet looks great and feels good. PIN adjustments like gen, not sure if it is the same as I havent adjusted either. Clasp is good, font is a bit off and more sharp at the edges. The clasp is crisp and works well.

Overall

For any price it is a good rep, for $110 it is a great rep. There arent many good ones of the SMP and for 98% this probably will function as is. Good rep that most won't see as a REP, the problem there are a bunch of GENs out there and you may run across them.

These are great GENs and still affordable. They have continued to go up in price and with the Jan 01 OMEGA price hikes coming I think they are a good investment.

Hope you enjoy feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to do this side by side buddy. All in all I know the reps not exactly the same but it's a pretty good copy for the amount of money it costs. Unless you have them side by Side 99% of general public would never know its a rep.thanks again for your time.

Ry

Completely agree. That is the case with most REPs, the person wearing the REP is more likely to think it has "TELLS", but it all truth most people think seiko and citizen and for high end "ROLEX" or "TAG" for the marketing machines. Omega and Breitling are my favorite GEN brands and most people don't know them (more Omega than Breitling)

But long answer to you are right you will be good to go wearing this REP

For 110 usd its perfect

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

It is a great buy

• 2 weeks later...

It is a nighthawk hanging around...

just got two new gen complete bezels and it is hard to show, but the rep is definetly not as precise on the edges of the scallops. All the gens, even the well loved ones, have a crisp almost knife edge to them when viewed from above. The reps are just rounded and I think this is one of the nice design features of the GEN.

Good comparison, thanks. ;)

As has been said, the rep is good value for money, as long as you can change out that awful pearl.

The rep SMP bracelets often have incorrectly polished edges. Whereas your Gen, and my gen SMP GMT have brushed bracelet edges.

DSC_01892.jpg