When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Vs Gen

poretl

Still not sure what the issue is. You have not handled enough reps to be making the statements that you are making. If you are wanting to know if a replica can rival the quality of a gen then I'm sure it can. Based on my rather large experience I would say in general most rep watches that come directly from china do not have this quality. I've had countless watches serviced that were missing o-rings on stems and casebacks. Watches that wouldn't set the time correctly or failed to keep good time. Watches with dirty movements, hair and dust on jewels. Little to no lube on vital parts. You don't know this because your experience is limited.

Your opinion that most of the rep factories in China can produce a rep that is as good as the geniune factories does not hold water. The parts in general are not to the finish or fit as gen. The people putting the watches together are not as skilled, and the factories are not as qualtity controled. What do you think happens at a rep factory when they run out of stem o-rings? Do you think that someone gets up hits a red button and everyone stops what they are doing until the correct parts come in? No they put it together without the oring. Guess what happens with that watch when you accidently dunk it underwater even washing your hands.

I love rep watches. I have both reps and gens and in my opinion gens are better out of the box, that's not to say that the reps are not good. Half of the fun of reps is upgrading them and or fitting gen parts. If someone comments on my reps I don't try to pass them off as real. I guess I'm secure enough that I don't have to. I tried to give you a friendly heads up on how to get replacement screw and some advice on a nice starter watch in a Seiko Black Monster if quality is what you are looking for. You decided to try to give me a business lesson. Again, it all goes back to the fact that you don't know what you are talking about and frankly, I do. If my advice is not appreciated I will move on to the next topic. If it is your post my guess is it will be "Who has the best Sub?"

This thread is painful to read. The OP needs a clearly stated premise, and an editor.

+1 and also some knowledge... especially when he says things like ".... And I'm not so sure if a Seiko is much better than a Breitling or Panerai rep."

He shows that he has no idea how superior Seiko is to what the rep industry produces. Seikos are manufactured with watch specific machinery. These are highly evolved machines designed for very specific watch related parts and sub-assemblies. And most designed specifically to Seiko's request.

The rep industry uses whatever machinery they have at the moment. Very generic equipment and parts aren't subject to any QC beyond a quick glance before being tossed into a nearby parts bin. Fit and finish is hit and miss. I've never had a rep that didn't require some further refinement when it comes to fit and finish (yes, there have been a couple of exceptions, but these are VERY rare). I could go on, but won't... in this case, I don't think a "healthy" argument is possible.

It's sad, but this will be the first time I'll make a note to myself to avoid these kinds of threads as they are very frustrating and contribute very little to the forum or community.

keep it coming smarties, oh yeah!

The newbie came on board to question the infinite wisdom of the veterans. We all get it, ok? We all get it. What does the newbie know about Seikos, about reps, about watches overall, about anything. After all, he only has one rep. Try to compare that to 568.

Edited by poretl

keep it coming smarties, oh yeah!

The newbie came on board to question the infinite wisdom of the veterans. We all get it, ok? We all get it. What does the newbie know about Seikos, about reps, about watches overall, about anything. After all, he only has one rep. Try to compare that to 568.

Your first three sentences tells all of us that NO, you do not get it and where we are coming from with our responses.

You need to get rid of that chip on your shoulder and take advantage of the vast knowledge we have to share instead of as you say, question it. We've all been playing the rep game for a very long time and have all helped each other out through all of the associated bumps in the road that come along with the journey.

You're more than welcome to come along for the ride. Just gotta drop that defensive guard, we're all a pretty nice group of guys here.

While I know plenty about gen watches I know zip about rep watches. However, I have to say that everyone here has helped me immensely. As a member of several large watch boards I have to say the members here are super helpful. In my short time on this board I have grown quite fond of everyone. Perhaps OP you need to start over and take advantage of the knowledge from the people here. Lose that attitude of yours - yes you do have one - and be open to the insight of the members here. I am sure they are willing to forget your beginnings.

Ok so the OP asked a question. People answered it. Personally I'm very new to watches and have seen a gen Pam once in a window. I could tell the gen was the left in about 5-10 seconds. The gen is just right.

Then the OP said you couldn't tell if they were not side by side. Well they were. So OP question answered. Good day.