When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

23J UN Maxi-Marine autowinding not working

Smab

Hello. Found some similar topics posted here from 2010, but it seems a sligtly different problem in my case.

The UN Maxi-Marine with Asia 23J movement, with secs and date at 6, working PR at 12, has a problem with the autowinding function. The rotor is moving, but seems jerky (both directions). Only way to gain PR is to wind manually (carefully!). The PR loose juice when I am wearing the watch.

After studying some pics of similar topic, I found that on my watch, I can see throuhg the caseback (sapphire see-thru), the spring lever on one side of the tooth wheel gear, is in odd position. It has slipped out of its normal position against the teeth of the tooth wheel, and sits atop the wheel, thereby obstructing the autowinding, and possibly also making the movement of the rotor look jerky. My idea is to open the caseback, then use a small tweezer and try to push the spring lever back in its opposed position. Is there any reason I should avoid trying this? What happens if I remove the rotor? Will parts fly around the room and all is ruined?

Here is the pic.The second pic is the actual watch. The Cr red arrow is the correct position. The Wr arrow shows where the spring lever sits on my watch.

23Jmovementproblem.jpgFoto1858.jpg

Good evening here from Scandinavia :) About 40 minutes of labour, and it seems my theory about the autowinding trouble, was correct. I did as described above, and now the rotor runs as it should both ways. The small spring lever somehow got stock in the wrong place and blocked everything. The watch was this way when I got it. Good thing I opened the caseback, as several of the six tiny screws holding the caseback, was not tight! So I hit to flies in one smack, if one could use such an expression.

Now it remains to see if the rotor actually winds the watch. I have high hopes, since this thing fixed, seems everything inside the watch moves as it should and the rotor even makes a little bit of noise when I move my hand around.

If anyone else experience this problem, the sollution is possibly here. Could not have done it without the pics from 2010 topic though (23J UN Autowind does not work).

And oh: I weared latex glowes while touching the inside of the watch, do not want any fingerprints all over the rotor ;)

Very good work! Congratulations to you on your fix. To find if the rotor now winds the mainspring, spin the watch a few hundred times in your hand and watch the power reserve. This watch needs 1000 spins for full winding.

Good morning Jkay and thanks :) . The rotor defenately charges the PR nicely. Just after wearing the watch for an hour or so last night, the PR had gained significantly.

So, guess this was the sollution then. Much better than shipping the watch back to China! I talked with the dealer, asking for advice, and if I should try an attempt, and the told me he would take responsibility if something went wrong during my procedyre. Great service. And such great way to learn more about watchmaking and repair. Happy weekend :)

Congratulaions on the fix. :drinks: always feels good to do something like this ourselves.

I have the same watch but the 45 Maxi diver variety. The 23j is a very good movement..mine has around a 42 hr PR. I really like mine.

Best of luck with It In the furture.

Mike

post-19368-0-28214200-1325936415.jpg

Good work it looks to my eye you have found the issue and corrected it and that I what a lot of this hobby is all about you can get a stunning watch with a small issue. Where some people will just chuck it and be pissed off with reps others will fix, make better, mod and care for the watch and have alot of enjoyment from the hobby

Wel done and let us know about the pr