When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Muller revival

Jurgenk

I know a lot of you have this watch in some sort of franken build, and you've all inspired me to build something similar. I want to share my franken conquistador here in the hopes of reviving interest in this classic design, and to seek opinions on the best leather strap options for this watch. The bracelet is silky smooth but a bit feminine for my taste, and it was missing a few links when I got it so I had to add bits of another FM bracelet that I had... Dial from toumii and expert amazing lume job by The Zigmeister, as is the hand recolor.

Would love a nice black or dark brown croc strap, but don't know where to begin.

post-6800-0-92000000-1326255209.jpg

Edited by Jurgenk

Thanks Jkay + redwatch

The double hornback definitely makes a more masculine impression than the bracelet. A great option, for sure, and made such a difference for an $80 rep in that case...

Chieftang had a nice strap for his too, but I can't seem to find his old threads on this (via tapatalk in any case, not a good way to search...)

Yeah I know what you mean about those eBay ripoff artists... On the other had I have no idea where toumiis inventory comes from, or what kind of quality to expect... I ordered what looked like a perfect dial, and got shipped a different color dial with all kinds of damage, and a note of apology and with a "bonus" king Chrono dial which was perfect but which I couldn't use. When I protested I was told to return everything for an exchange. The dial I got was this one and I decided to quit while I was ahead...

I got this from a member at rwi/rg in what turned out not to be a straightforward transaction... The original supplier is not known but likely same as any cartel circa 2006-7.

Another pic of The Zigmeisters exquisite lume work:

post-6800-0-74912200-1326296644.jpg

Edited by Jurgenk

On the other had I have no idea where toumiis inventory comes from, or what kind of quality to expect...

toumii sells damaged dials, but she is up front about it in the descriptions, and does not charge full retail like those Three Brothers Jewelers scam artists.

What four FMs have you got cooking, and were these directed by case designs / complications or by dial designs / availability? Curious as to what's out there, and what can be done about watch sourcing. At least 2 years elapsed between sourcing these parts and getting it all installed... So if you need a motivator...

Edited by Jurgenk

I have a rectangular silver dial Crazy Hour, and I bought a lozenge shaped crazy hour colour dreams in pink for my daughter.

I picked up a gen pink lozenge dial and a gen ruby red rectangular dial, and as you know sometimes toumii sends along a free dial with each you buy so I also have an immaculate gen dial exactly like yours which I now intend to use. The final dial is a gen non-crazy pink dial and I do not know what I'm doing with that one yet.

I was thinking about DLC'ing the rectangular case and dropping the ruby dial into it with a maroon horn back strap. That's the plan, anyway.

Jurgenk:

I'm assuming that this is the Swiss 2892 version. I have one with a black dial that I got from Josh. The Zigmeister also serviced the movement and lumed the dial and hands. The bracelet on that model were garbage and mine kept losing screws till I just gave up. So, I have mine on a DiModell 19mm black gator strap which is very nice. Good luck with your hunt.

Just a thought...I've been checking out eBay for 19mm straps. there's a seller there whose selling straps by a company called Accessories. They have 19mm gator straps (supposedly list price of $300...but you know how that goes) for $50 including shipping. Also some ostrich ones for $25. I ordered one of the ostrich ones just to get a bit of color contrast and see about quality. I'll let you know how it is once I get it if you like.

JKay-- Those projects sound cool, your daughter is very lucky and I am sure will love what you put together for her. Please keep us posted on progress, it's time to unleash the Franken Mullers... Too long have they been trapped in parts bins.

Buckeye-- thanks for the strap tips, the ebay find sounds interesting too. I like the finish on the Genesis II that chieftang had on his but it sounds like some customization by the strap maker is needed.

Thanks Dluddy, The Zigmeister is definitely the man. I know he doesn't go out of his way to find more work, but Ive been seeing a lot of great work from his shop on this board lately...

FRANK is sooooo good!

Damn I like the shoe too!

Between all of the watches between us, my wife's crazy hours gets the most comments by far. It seems without fail that we'll go out to a nice restaurant and somebody will give a quick glance at whatever AP/Panerai/Hublot/IWC/etc. I've got on, and then proceed to ask her all about her watch.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump up this thread, but the dials that threegoldbenders (sorry i meant BROTHERS) sell are all brought from toumii. I know this because i bidding on the same dials and each time they were outbidding me and then selling them at inflated prices. i even sold a few dials on ebay that i didnt want and threegoldbrothers brought them. Jkay hows the crazy hours project going?

Jkay hows the crazy hours project going?

The only Crazy Hours project I have moved on, so far, is the one for my Daughter's birthday at the beginning of this year.

It came out great; standard FM Crazy watch + gen dial + custom croco strap by Inspire Workshop + TheZigmeister final assembly of all the parts. The gen dial has lume, but it is a bit damaged. I did not have Zig repair the lume (except re-lume the rep hands), since my Daughter is only 14. Have to watch that final cost!!

The only Crazy Hours project I have moved on, so far, is the one for my Daughter's birthday at the beginning of this year.   It came out great; standard FM Crazy watch + gen dial + custom croco strap by Inspire Workshop + TheZigmeister final assembly of all the parts. The gen dial has lume, but it is a bit damaged. I did not have Zig repair the lume (except re-lume the rep hands), since my Daughter is only 14. Have to watch that final cost!!
Please post pictures when you get time :) the gen dial does make a huge difference to the watch. Im looking to do this same mod on the 5850 curvex model. Ive got a gen dial, but the lume is all damaged on it, so will have to get it relumed. Its fun doing these projects :)