When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting my first Rep today! Daylight Luminor

CaptnAwesome

Hey guys,

I've been looking the Rep forums for awhile, and just haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I've been lusting after Luminors since I got here, and decided if I was going to start getting into Reps, my first would be a Panerai.

Well, I found a local selling a brand new PAM025 with a croc strap for a screaming price, so I decided to jump on it!

3Hwqf.jpg

I'll be going to meet up with him later to check it out and make sure it looks and runs smooth, but from all I've seen so far it looks good!

Anything I should look for specifically when I meet up with this dude to make sure I'm not buying a total piece of junk?

No idea where this one is from but it is extremely low end rep. It is very innacurate as far as today's rep standard go here. The chrono dials are in completely wrong position and so is date window, thin date font, etc, etc. But if you don't care about that, don't pay more then $50-$90 for it. Or wait for this http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/pam326-m-daylight-titanium-a7753-ultimate-edition-sample-preview/

Don't buy it! Select a trusted dealer and order online, you get QC pics and can be sure that you actually get what you pay for. You might have to wait longer for shipping, but it will be worth it. Buying from some random dude is risky even for an experienced watch collector, as a first rep it's a total no-go.

Ahh dammit. I just got back from getting it, and NOW I see all these posts. C'est la vie. I paid under $100 for it.. it's a great looking watch, and it keeps time, that's good enough for now. I realize it's not the most accurate way to test it, but I started my iphones stopwatch when the second hand hit 12, and let it run for 10 minutes, it was pretty much spot on.

Is there anyway to verify it's a quartz and not an automatic? The second hand sweeps fairly smoothly like I would've expected.. and I can 'wind' it and hear and feel mechanism to the winding action.

Maybe I'll give this as a gift to my Dad or something for his upcoming birthday! ;)

Thanks for the input guys, sadly I was away from my pc and couldn't check it before I headed out, but live and learn! My next will probably be from a trusted vendor or the reptrade section here.

It's actually a black face, just a terrible picture! Unfortunately, this dude doesn't know anything about the movement, other than 'it's an automatic'.. but the chronos work, so I'm assuming it's probably a 7750.

I would not assume it's a 7750 because there are cheap 21j watches out there. How much is he asking? How old is the watch? How did you find the watch?

MM

If the second hand sweeps smoothly it is not a quartz. There is a quart movement that sweeps smoothly, but you won't find it in any replicas. If you open the case back you will easily be able to identify the movement, or post pictures here so that it may be identified. You can open the case back with a ball of duct tape if you don't have a caseback tool. I would be surprised if the sub-dials actually worked.

If they second hand sweeps smoothly it is not a quartz. There is a quartz movements that sweeps smoothly, but you won't find it in any replicas. If you open the case back you will easily be able to identify the movement, or post pictures here so that it may be identified. You can open the case back with a ball of duct tape if you don't have a caseback tool. I would be surprised if the sub-dials actually worked.

I made a quickie video to show the movement.. maybe I'm wrong!

Yea, the chronos don't work.. I being in a rush, just looked the watch over for any dings or imperfections, made sure the lever and screw worked, paid him and ran. The buttons only shift the chrono dials around. :|

I'll try and get the caseback off with duct tape! That sounds like a fun little trick!

You can use this as a learning experience. I've not purchased a replica but if I was going to it would be from the trusted dealers. I have looked over their watches and some of them seem to be very close to the gens. You will never find a perfect replica for sale. I guess it depends on what imperfections you can live with. I recently purchased a ceramic Submariner for a friend. When he receives it I am going to compare it to my genuine. I am sure there will be imperfections but most people will probably not notice them. I've seen some wonderful replicas on the forum that members have modded as close to the original as possible. I would guess that some of the mods I have seen performed bring the replica within the price range of a gen.

Yea, the chronos don't work.. I being in a rush, just looked the watch over for any dings or imperfections, made sure the lever and screw worked, paid him and ran. The buttons only shift the chrono dials around. :|

I'll try and get the caseback off with duct tape! That sounds like a fun little trick!

Without a picture it's impossible to tell what movement has been used.

Don't feel to bad... I purchased a POS Navitimer before I found this site. It cost me $150.00 but it could have been much worse.