When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch servicing UK?

thealphabeta

Looks quite promising guys only thing is you have to ship to a member on repgeek then he takes the watches to the watchmaker in central London.this seems to be like thos due to the watchmaker working in a top end shop dealing with high end watches,not always a good thing to show working on reps i guess.have to have a look and see if anyone can verify he's legit.im sure he is.

Cheers

Ryan

Thanks Rymeister, we'll all be checking it out, looks promising alright, but there have been cases where other watchsmiths have done a bunk with some fairly expensive rep merchandise in the past so buyer beware as they say. On the other hand, ----- confirms that he regularly works on £30K+ gens so would have literally no interest in taking off with suitcases full of reps on the tube out of London. biggrin.png

He apparently just wants to keep it low key.

Edited by cougar1

Thanks Rymeister, we'll all be checking it out, looks promising alright, but there have been cases where other watchsmiths have done a bunk with some fairly expensive rep merchandise in the past so buyer beware as they say. On the other hand, Exton confirms that he regularly works on £30K+ gens so would have literally no interest in taking off with suitcases full of reps on the tube out of London. :D

He apparently just wants to keep it low key.

Sorry bud I started writing post before you posted but got side tracked and ended up posting after you :)

Yeah I heard about someone doing a bunk with watches, it is a worrying thing as some of our watches are worth quite a bit of cash even if they are reps. I'd rather find someone I could deal with direct for security

Just to add, I seem to keep cross reading posts and missing others.

I think that having the option open is a good idea, It would obviously start off with less expensive repairs/mods and see where it goes from there. A relationship has to start somewhere and in a way we can see how it has to be very hush hush until things establish themselves and he builds up a relationship with his rep clients. This watch-smith has a real life bricks and mortar store and I'm sure he doesn't want people bugging him constantly to see if that $88 asian21j noob sub has been brought back to life yesterday. I'll be trying it out as an alternative sometime...thankfully all my reps are working fine atm.

I was on holiday in Perth, here in Scotland, last year, just after I sent my Ebel 1911 to Domenico for a service.

I found a small watchmaker's shop and popped in to ask if he was willing to work on high-end replicas. He said he was.

The following weekend I took my reps to Perth to let him have a look and give him an idea of some of the kind of items he may be asked to work on.

He remarked on the quality of the pieces and asked a few questions about the movements. I explained that most would probably be Asian, but there might also be some ETA copies and also that quite often the movements are second hand and not cleaned or lubricated before they are put in the cases. In some cases they look as if they have been sprayed with WD40, which really freaked him out!

Anyway, he said that servicing would not be a problem and he confirmed that that would mean a complete strip down, clean, lube, reassemble and test.

He covers all aspects of repair and I asked about re-lumes, but he said he wasn't that keen on doing re-lumes, although he does have the materials etc. to do it if specifically asked.

He works on his own from his small shop in Perth and he is a smashing guy, really easy to talk to and very open and honest. I got some really good vibes from the first time I spoke to him! He is quite happy for me to let everyone here know his contact details and said that if anyone wants to ask any questions just give him a call.

I spoke to him last week to see if he's got his email sorted, but unfortunately it's still down at the moment, so he won't be able to reply to any emails, which is not ideal for anyone outside the UK, but hopefully he'll have it sorted soon.

His name is Alastair Neaves and his website has his address and phone number if anyone wants to speak to him:

www.thewatchmaker.uk.com

(Just say Gordon from the replica forum gave you his details and I'm sure he'll look after you.)

Just seen this post guys,

There's a brief update on RG. There'll be members coming through soon with their experiences as have a few pieces in the workshop, and some have been completed already.

http://www.repgeek.c...ad.php?t=162982 - *thread deleted already* - Brilliant.

If you drop me an email at deleted I'll be able to drop you a pricelist and order form. Happy for myself or my collegue to meet in person - or special delivery. Also, my name and address are put to this project - not the actions of someone planning on doing a runner :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I really want to send my watch to him as I'm only 30-45 mins train journey from central london and if this service turns out good I could use him a lot, but I've got my tc sub on its way to me soon and I've got a gen insert which I payed £100 for and scared to send it and never see it again.not I don't trust this service by any means just can't afford to loose out on a large amount of money. I've not seen any one else in uk offering any sort of watch repair/service.

I was on holiday in Perth, here in Scotland, last year, just after I sent my Ebel 1911 to Domenico for a service.

I found a small watchmaker's shop and popped in to ask if he was willing to work on high-end replicas. He said he was.

The following weekend I took my reps to Perth to let him have a look and give him an idea of some of the kind of items he may be asked to work on.

He remarked on the quality of the pieces and asked a few questions about the movements. I explained that most would probably be Asian, but there might also be some ETA copies and also that quite often the movements are second hand and not cleaned or lubricated before they are put in the cases. In some cases they look as if they have been sprayed with WD40, which really freaked him out!

Anyway, he said that servicing would not be a problem and he confirmed that that would mean a complete strip down, clean, lube, reassemble and test.

He covers all aspects of repair and I asked about re-lumes, but he said he wasn't that keen on doing re-lumes, although he does have the materials etc. to do it if specifically asked.

He works on his own from his small shop in Perth and he is a smashing guy, really easy to talk to and very open and honest. I got some really good vibes from the first time I spoke to him! He is quite happy for me to let everyone here know his contact details and said that if anyone wants to ask any questions just give him a call.

I spoke to him last week to see if he's got his email sorted, but unfortunately it's still down at the moment, so he won't be able to reply to any emails, which is not ideal for anyone outside the UK, but hopefully he'll have it sorted soon.

His name is Alastair Neaves and his website has his address and phone number if anyone wants to speak to him:

www.thewatchmaker.uk.com

(Just say Gordon from the replica forum gave you his details and I'm sure he'll look after you.)

This is a great bit of info Gordon for all us Scots and indeed UK enthusiasts!

Please do let us know if you use him and how things go?

Very good of you mate! :)

This is a great bit of info Gordon for all us Scots and indeed UK enthusiasts!

Please do let us know if you use him and how things go?

Very good of you mate! :)

Thanks Chris.

I don't have any doubts about his work or his ability, but I do appreciate that fellow members prefer to use someone who has a track record, as far as reps are concerned.

Bearing this in mind, I'm planning on getting Alastair to service my Skyland later in the year, as I've had it almost 4 years and it's a definite keeper.

I'll keep every one posted.

If you're close to London, I have a guy in the city that works on mine for me - rep and gen. Has never gone wrong, is cheap as chips and is quick to turn things around. He can also source gen bits and pieces - he got me gen crystals for my Explorer I and DateJust II and has serviced most pieces I own...

I have mentioned him before on RG and provided details in a thread. His name is Sean and he runs a permanent mini-shop front in Piccadilly Circus, it is called 'Watches 2 Go'.

NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with him, just a very happy customer.

S

I send all my watches for repair/servicing to a guy in Durham, his name is Neil and he's very good with A7750's, Eta's and clone movements. He's just repaired a Daytona 'seconds at 6' for me and done a lovely job!

I wouldn't blame anyone for saying I'm trying to get the guy some work but if your interested then send me a PM and I'll pass you on his details

I wouldn't blame anyone for saying I'm trying to get the guy some work but if your interested then send me a PM and I'll pass you on his details

I'm the same with the guy from Perth. All of us in the UK, if not Europe, could do with some additional reliable, rep friendly watchmakers.

I have used Domenico in Germany and would not hesitate to use him again, but obviously being in the UK, a UK based watchmaker is more appealing.

I don't think people like Domenico will suffer too much if us UK guys give some of our business to in country watchmakers, as there are also plenty of us in Europe who are outside the UK.

The more the merrier, if you ask me!

I'm the same with the guy from Perth. All of us in the UK, if not Europe, could do with some additional reliable, rep friendly watchmakers.

I have used Domenico in Germany and would not hesitate to use him again, but obviously being in the UK, a UK based watchmaker is more appealing.

I don't think people like Domenico will suffer too much if us UK guys give some of our business to in country watchmakers, as there are also plenty of us in Europe who are outside the UK.

The more the merrier, if you ask me!

Deffinatly buddy I've heard good things about domenico but like you say it's much better if we can use someone in uk, saves time and customs risks.

ry

i honestly think most independent high street jewelers (not beeverbrooks, Ernest Jones, H.Samuel or Elizabeth Duke in Argos) will have a fully qualified watch smith, that is a

Fellow of the British Horological Institute, that they work with. obviously they are not allowed to work with reps

;) or so the one i use says so

• 3 weeks later...
If you're close to London, I have a guy in the city that works on mine for me - rep and gen. Has never gone wrong, is cheap as chips and is quick to turn things around. He can also source gen bits and pieces - he got me gen crystals for my Explorer I and DateJust II and has serviced most pieces I own...

I have mentioned him before on RG and provided details in a thread. His name is Sean and he runs a permanent mini-shop front in Piccadilly Circus, it is called 'Watches 2 Go'.

NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with him, just a very happy customer.

S

Is this the chap in the tube station?

Sent from TK-421's comms using Tapatalk