When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GEN 116710 - Pull the trigger?

Eton

Hey Guys,

Quick question for ya...my B-day is coming up real quick and I have a Gen Omega PO 8500 (42mm) on hold (wife won't let me get it before the day).

But the dealer just called and said they would swing me a good price on a BNIB (Just arrived) Gen GMTIIC...they sure know how to torture a guy, ugh!!! Should I take the plunge and spend the extra cash???

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

K

Much better residual value in the GMT; it all depends just how much of a 'good' deal your supplier is prepared to offer; Go for it; Rolex over Omega every time (controversial!). Rclough

Well...it's still more expensive than the PO (of course), so I'll have to fork over some additional funds. I understand Omega vs Rolex...a lot of people say "no matter how hard Omega tries...it will still never be Rolex"

If you don't plan on selling the watch after getting it go with the PO 8500. Otherwise go with the GMT IIc since it has great resale value. Either way, both are great watches. The new PO 8500 is very nice!

Thanks! I see you own the GMT...how do the PCL's fair after wearing it? A lot of fine scratches?

At the end of the day, it's which ever one you feel suits you best K! They are both great watches! Of course, you could always get the Rollie and then build a franken PO down the road. I know it wouldn't be an 8500 but it's an option. Hard to build a convincing GMT franken given the hand stack issues.

At the end of the day, it's which ever one you feel suits you best K! They are both great watches! Of course, you could always get the Rollie and then build a franken PO down the road. I know it wouldn't be an 8500 but it's an option. Hard to build a convincing GMT franken given the hand stack issues.

Hey bro, thanks for the input! It's a difficult decision (which I thought was already made...damn dealer, he knows how I feel about the GMT)...both have their pros and cons, but the main factor is cost (IMO).

Here is a discussion that might help. It is on the Omega section of 'Watch U Seek', so a grain of salt is advised. And it compares to the 116610 Submariner, not the GMTIIc, but they are similar enough for comparison sake. Impressions, attitudes and opinions are informative.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/comparison-omega-po-8500-vs-rolex-submariner-116610ln-600683.html

But the bottom line is it's your opinion that will decide.

GMT IIC all the way

Thanks, K!!!

Here is a discussion that might help. It is on the Omega section of 'Watch U Seek', so a grain of salt is advised. And it compares to the 116610 Submariner, not the GMTIIc, but they are similar enough for comparison sake. Impressions, attitudes and opinions are informative.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/comparison-omega-po-8500-vs-rolex-submariner-116610ln-600683.html

But the bottom line is it's your opinion that will decide.

Thank you, I'll have a look! :)

Well...it's still more expensive than the PO (of course), so I'll have to fork over some additional funds. I understand Omega vs Rolex...a lot of people say "no matter how hard Omega tries...it will still never be Rolex"

'Omega will never be Rolex' very true; the way I look at it is this, I could walk down Oxford Street (London) right now, and buy a PO from a shop window (Ernest Jones (UK Retailer)); Conversely, I could order (from the same shop) a GMTIIc, pay a deposit, wait 6 months, and then take delivery. Rolex control their stock (& brand) like no other, and that only serves to increase desirability. One final word; if your supplier is willing to do a deal on a Rollie jump on it; in my experience Rolex prices are non negotiable, and only go one way - UP!! Good luck. rclough

Guys as far as i can read you are pretty unlucky..in my country the prices of the Rolex are quite negiotiable..

I would get the GMT..You would so, the only you wanted is to hear it from the guys..So you uploaded this in the right area!!!

Mate if you are able ,get the Gmt and never look back.Of course looks are personal taste...But if you get the Omega you will say: ooooo i should have bought the Rolex...This is the reason except the visible ones..

Thanks! I see you own the GMT...how do the PCL's fair after wearing it? A lot of fine scratches?

It actually holds up quite well. The barcelet PCL's super fine scratches can only be seen with bright light. It's barely visible even under the sun or normal lighting condition. The clasp does have a few light scratches from desk, but can be easily polished. There are more scratches on the PCLs near the clasp (due to the easylink usages).

Here's a picture of my clasp after a few months of use:

J9fdQ.jpg

Under bright LED flashlight:

2eN35.jpg

20% Discount is what I would call a good AD Rolex discount, if not I would buy one preowned!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck getting 20% on SS sport models. I got 15% on my GMT IIc and that's the BEST I've seen around. I practically paid used price for a new random series GMT IIc!

Good luck getting 20% on SS sport models. I got 15% on my GMT IIc and that's the BEST I've seen around. I practically paid used price for a new random series GMT IIc!

Thats what I mean, it would have to be a gooood deal to buy from an AD, and I have purchased maybe 5 new Rolex Sport Models over the past 10 years, all I have sold later on, however I got 15% on an LV when they first came out, and 20% on a SS Sub, 15 on a TT SUB I dont think its uncommon to get 20% off on a Full Gold Rolex. I guess it depends on where you live, relationship etc, no probs, no good discount I would just go somewhere else, oh and folding stuff helps. I know guys who walk into Rolex dealers in HK and fork out $45 000 CASH on table, and they get bloody good discounts! LOL

Cash Talks, Credit Cards walk!

I dont buy Gens anymore, cost me too much and now I have kids. Maybe a nice Simple Patek $8000-$10 000 when I retire in 25 years.

It actually holds up quite well. The barcelet PCL's super fine scratches can only be seen with bright light. It's barely visible even under the sun or normal lighting condition. The clasp does have a few light scratches from desk, but can be easily polished. There are more scratches on the PCLs near the clasp (due to the easylink usages).

Here's a picture of my clasp after a few months of use:

J9fdQ.jpg

Under bright LED flashlight:

2eN35.jpg

Thanks for the pics!!! Appreciate your input :)

The discount is above 15%...going to see if I can get more though ;)