When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Panerai Submersible 187 - should i buy it?

ahchard

I have come across a second hand Pam 187 for sale at USD9,000/-, which after some searching on the internet seems to be a good buy. I have seen them go from $11,000 to $12,000 second hand. Should I buy it purely for investment? The reason is because it is 47mm and would be too big for my wrist... so I was thinking to buy and keep it for a while before selling it again for a profit to fund other purchases.

I am not very familiar with trading watches or the value of different watches so would appreciate any insight or advice from fellow forum members.

First and foremost, buy a watch that you like and that you would see yourself wearing.

I have a gen 187 which I bought for a bargain, but I got it mainly because I loved the watch and it helped that the price was too good to say no to.

Over the years, I've made some money off some watches, and lost a good amount on others. It's part and parcel of indulging in this hobby. Watches are hardly a sound investment, or even an investment to begin with.

At the end of it all, it usually works out to be a zero sum game. You win some, you lose some. But if you like and love the watch, it more than makes up for any monetary loss

I love my 187, as beaten as worn as it may be:

picsay-1327541773.jpg

Edited by burnz

Never buy a watch for an investment especially one your not going to wear, its a big gamble for what could be a small return. I've owned a few expensive gen watches and have always found the process of selling expensive items quite stressful. Then again that's just me.

Looking at the pic above though has made me realise how sexy the 187 is and I might consider getting the rep after the CNY.

I personally would never purchase a watch that I did not plan on wearing...you will be lucky to break even.

If you planed on wearing the watch and really loved It...then why not. But to purchase something to put In your watchbox...just to sell It later for about what you paid for it....If you're lucky. Not me anyway.

I love the 187...may be my favorite pam. but the rep is good enough for me...and I get to save around $8.500 or so. ;)

Mike

post-19368-0-33106000-1327857026.jpg

I agree with the consensus above. In the world economic conditions, watches

are a huge risk. There is no guarantee you will make a $1 on this watch...

Panerai's have come down in price due to economic conditions. in years

past, I always make money selling my Gen used Rolex's.

I wouldn't even risk that right now. For a watch you really don't like..

This is a high risk deal, and the odds are not in your favor...

Good luck,

MM